Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Wheeler Dealers, Roadkill, Best Driver’s Car, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
MotorTrend is hiring a flexible and eager Associate Editor (full-time, salaried, regular) for our growing Buyer’s Guide. We need someone who can blend the wonder of America’s car culture with the magic of the inverted pyramid to help bolster our burgeoning digital presence. It’s so much more than Mustang versus Camaro—although we do love ‘em both. It’s about family SUVs, the incoming wave of electric vehicles, and more than a whiff of service journalism for the in-market car buyer. You will work with a staff of professionals to creatively cover the latest and greatest offerings in the automotive industry. Applicants should apply with a cover letter and a list of living, breathing clips.
We seek candidates whose abilities allow them to fulfill the following duties and responsibilities:
- Contribute to MotorTrend's comprehensive, helpful, and awesome Buyer's Guide.
- Write consumer-focused features to help buyers make smarter car-buying decisions. Story ideas are assigned by an editor or come from reporter’s own sourcing.
- Write vehicle reviews.
- Assist Buyer’s Guide video crew understand where various vehicles fit in the market.
- Collaborate with editors to conceptualize story themes, photography, and layout.
- Support the maintenance of the MotorTrend Ultimate Car Rankings system.
- Cover auto shows to connect with readers and develop contacts within the industry.
- Attend new-vehicle media introductions.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- This position will not include supervising another employee.
- Journalism or English degree desired.
- Two to four years writing experience.
- Previous experience in automotive or daily news journalism preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent writer able to communicate complex issues in lively, clear, and concise prose.
- Language skills suitable for a professional publishing position, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation, plus proofreading and copyediting capabilities.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to drive in a safe, controlled, professional manner.
- The ability to sit for prolonged periods of time and view computer screen.
- Occasional travel, often for periods lasting 2-4 days.
- Some manual labor required, including moving wheels/tires, jacks, toolboxes, etc.
- Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Sheets)
- Online content and digital-assets management systems (WordPress).
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Adobe Photoshop
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.