Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Wheeler Dealers, Roadkill, Best Driver’s Car, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities
The Software Development Engineer II, Hybrid Web Applications (full-time, salaried, regular) will help develop the next generation of Motor Trend Group’s platforms for Motortrend.com and key brands. The Senior Software Engineer will be a part of our Agile Scrum team consisting of tvOS, Roku and HWA. For HWA, we built apps for FireTV, xBox, AndroidTV and will be expanding to other platforms.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Architect and implement applications for problems of scale.
- Provide technical expertise and troubleshooting
- Collaborate with other teams on prioritizing roadmap initiatives and to provide estimations.
- Contribute significantly to software project and planning efforts.
- Consult and lead on overall software architecture and strategy and drive high impact decisions.
- Enforce standards, best practices, and modern development conventions.
- Mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers. Your written and oral communication skills are superb.
- BA/BS in a Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent professional experience.
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g., unit testing, design patterns, building maintainable code, performance, object-oriented programming principles).
- Experience with 3rd party API consumption, client side.
- Proficiency with optimizing for performance, scalability, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
- Experience with Git workflow, Version Standarding.
- Experience with Connected Devices / TV.
- You are experienced and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop complex functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers. You make good decisions when to build new and when to extend existing.
- You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
- You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team. You understand how individual pieces of software fit into a greater ecosystem and can actively communicate and advocate for choices among multiple stakeholders.
- You are an effective communicator as exemplified by your technical documentation, and your interactions with stakeholders and adjacent teams. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.