Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Wheeler Dealers, Roadkill, Best Driver’s Car, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Director, Growth & Lifecycle Marketing (full-time, salaried, regular) will be a meticulously thoughtful, data-driven, and strategic leader on MotorTrend’s growing Marketing Team responsible for leading growth efforts for MotorTrend’s streaming service and other important digital initiatives via digital acquisition, lifecycle strategies, and funnel optimization. This individual will oversee the growth and lifecycle marketing team, the customer communication strategy and execution, consumer funnel optimization, App Store Optimization, product marketing, and price promotions.
The ideal candidate is a highly analytical leader with a proven track record of driving customer acquisition, increasing subscriber conversion and retention, and reducing churn in both a high-level strategic and a hands-on tactical execution capacity. Additionally, the Director, Growth & Lifecycle Marketing will work closely with Product, Finance, Partnerships, Business Intelligence, Marketing, Creative, and beyond, so cross-functional collaboration is critical to success in this role.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead development and execution of ambitious, data-driven growth strategy for MotorTrend’s streaming service and other important digital initiatives via digital acquisition, lifecycle strategies, and funnel optimization.
- Establish the lifecycle marketing team and function as a center of excellence and oversee the overall email, push notification, and customer messaging acquisition, conversion and retention strategy based on performance analytics, best practices, and the latest industry trends and tools to drive measurable results
- Define a lifecycle strategy that leverages data and customer insights, A/B testing and multivariate testing, dynamic automated highly targeted/segmented marketing campaigns, lifecycle messages, retention/reactivation/winback programs, special/promotional offers, and loyalty building communications across all customer communication touchpoints including email, push notifications, in-product features and messaging, etc.
- Identify, evaluate, and lead implementation of new tools and platforms
- Partner with Product Team in the creation, testing, and optimization of new and current conversion funnels, landing pages, and consumer marketing-related product features across platforms to help grow the business
- Lead the testing and optimization efforts for the conversion funnels for web/mobile web, connected devices, and mobile platforms
- Develop and execute price promotion and special offers strategy for acquisition, retention and winback, partnering with the Product Team to implement and Marketing colleagues to promote
- Partner with the Creative, Web Analytics and Digital Product team to prioritize a roadmap and operationalize a testing calendar
- Work with the Product Team and the Paid Media Team to enhance landing page capabilities and develop, test, and launch leading site experiences that connect to advertising strategies
- Develop, manage and deliver website testing strategy and online optimization roadmap of tests (including headlines, copy, value propositions, and calls to action to improve conversions
- Manage ASO strategy working with the internal Product Team and an external ASO partner to execute ongoing testing and optimization efforts for Apple App Store and Google Play Store
- Configure and use website analytics and testing platforms to measure the performance of experiments
- Provide insights by gathering qualitative and quantitative user feedback via multiple formats (usertesting.com, onsite live feedback, apptimize, usability hub, heat maps, adobe analytics etc.)
- Read, document and communicate results and recommendations of all initiatives and A/B tests to stakeholders and senior leaders regularly
- This position will include supervising a team including the Senior Manager, CRM Lifecycle & Retention, Manager, Digital Communications, Manager, Loyalty & Engagement and possible other employees where applicable. Supervisory responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide consistent training, support, and mentorship to team
- Review and approve individual timecards (as needed) and time-off requests to ensure optimal staffing levels
- Effective, fair, and consistent performance management
- Fairly and consistently ensure compliance with company policies and procedures
- Provide consistent and clear reporting and KPI’s of those you are managing to Sr. Leadership Teams
- BA/BS in Marketing, Communications, or related field; MBA preferred
- 7-10+ years of relevant experience in digital marketing and eCommerce with an emphasis in the video, digital, subscription, and /or mobile space
- 4-6 years of lifecycle marketing, growth or retention planning and strategy experience required
- 5+ years of experience building and executing site testing and/or ASO programs
- Experience in D2C subscription-based industry (ideally entertainment, digital, mobile, gaming or automotive)
- Prior experience working with an ESP, managing a daily email/SMS campaign and reporting on results is required
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Deep knowledge and proven track record of measurable success with lifecycle marketing, funnel optimization, and ASO – strategies, testing, tools, and platforms
- Excellent communications/presentation skills and the ability to work in a fluid corporate work environment with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to think strategically and define vision that achieves business goals while considering details critical to flawless tactical execution
- Experience leading, empowering, and growing teams of marketers at varying seniority levels to perform at their best and achieve business goals
- Understanding of email fundamentals: CAN-SPAM requirements, segmentation, performance metrics, etc.
- Understanding of HTML and email design best practices across desktop, mobile and tablet
- Demonstrated success in managing high volume integrated email marketing programs for consumer audiences
- Strong understanding of customer segmentation, behavior and consumer insights
- Experience in consumer segmentations and marketing operations tools
- Familiarity with What Counts, Braze, Adobe Campaigns and Branch
- Self-starter and learner with a hands-on approach
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities
- Advanced skills in Excel (pivot tables and formulas), PowerPoint
- Familiarity with Tableau a plus
- Ability to liaise with technical, marketing and business teams
- Must be able to organize, prioritize and schedule a high workload, efficiently
- Deep knowledge of the ASO and A/B site testing
- Ability to successfully partner with Product Team to develop, run, and optimize web and ASO tests to drive increase in conversion rates
- Understanding of mobile storefront testing and optimization including experience with 3rd Party Testing Platforms and partners like StoreMaven as well as in the Google Developers Console
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Analytics or similar analytics suite
- Ability to leverage analytics and complex models to make data-driven decisions, create and execute optimizations that improve acquisition KPI’s
- Proficiency in key web analytics tools (e.g. Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics), web testing platforms (e.g. Optimizely, Apptimize, Adobe Target etc.)
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- ESPs – What Counts, Braze, Adobe Campaign
- App Annie
- Google Developers Console and Apple App Store Connect
- Position is remote until at least Spring 2021 then located in El Segundo, CA office
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.