Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, the MotorTrend Group is the largest automotive media company in the world. Launched with MotorTrend’s iconic magazine 70 years ago, the company now has a global reach that includes MotorTrend TV, the MotorTrend streaming service, MotorTrend.com, and Hot Rod magazine, with franchises that include MotorTrend Car of the Year, Roadkill, Wheeler Dealers, Best Driver’s Car and dozens more. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Executive Editor (full-time, salaried, regular) will be responsible for hitting content production goals and readership targets, meeting tight deadlines, and working with the greater MotorTrend Group team to edit and create editorial ranging from quick-hit daily stories to innovative features to sprawling comparison tests. Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Aid editor-in-chief in directing MotorTrend brand operations and editorial team assignments.
- Edit article submissions for factual accuracy, grammar, and search engine visibility under tight deadlines.
- Collaborate with team on short and long-term editorial plans and story rollout across platforms.
- Write news, reviews, and features as time, schedule allow.
- Plan and oversee logistics and editorial rollout of MotorTrend signature events – (i.e. Car of the Year)
- Assist in the promotion of MotorTrend events and group-wide branded content efforts.
- Establish and maintain industry contacts in order to help further MotorTrend editorial goals.
- Engage in occasional public speaking opportunities as industry expert.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned by the editor-in-chief.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position will include supervising one or more employees where applicable. Supervisory responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide consistent training, support, and mentorship to team
- Review and approve time-off requests to ensure optimal staffing levels
- Effective, fair, and consistent performance management
- Fairly and consistently ensure compliance with company policies and procedures
- Journalism or English degree desired.
- At least 10+ years of experience in a high volume publishing environment preferred.
- Previous experience as a senior-level manager, or equivalent education and experience.
- Extensive knowledge of the automotive industry, products, and executive leadership.
- Superior driving skills a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong management, organizational, and logistical abilities.
- Excellent editor able to manage and mentor junior staff.
- Excellent writer able to communicate complex issues in lively, clear, and concise prose.
- Ability to work quickly and meet tight deadlines.
- Language skills suitable for a high-level professional publishing position, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation, plus proofreading and copyediting capabilities.
- Fluency in magazine and online publishing CMS procedures and tools, such as InDesign and WordPress.
- Familiarity with popular social media platforms.
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (InCopy, Photoshop, InDesign).
- WordPress content management tool.
- SmartSheets software workflow tracking tool.
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
- Travel, often for periods lasting 3-10 days.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.