Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendGroup
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Wheeler Dealers, Roadkill, Best Driver’s Car, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Vice President, Creative and Brand will shape the creative look, feel and impact of the company’s Marketing, Branding and Design. In addition to determining the creative, communication and design look, tone and feel for all MotorTrend marketing and promotion efforts, this person will be accountable as the strategic creative lead on subscriber acquisition campaigns (for its streaming service), viewer recruitment (on its linear television and digital platforms), and fan/community recruitment across social platforms and IRL.
The VP will supervise, manage and develop creative teams based in (primarily) El Segundo, CA, and in Silver Spring, MD. These teams serve across the business, supporting business initiatives, acquisition campaigns, show launches, platforms, partnerships and events. The role will work closely with product, programming, studios, performance marketing, research, business intel and sales to develop materials that build brand relevance, support growth of customer engagement and transactions and invite the participation of sponsors and partners.
The ideal candidate has a deep appreciation for car culture, media, storytelling, journalism, television and digital storytelling. They have a track record in managing collaborative, energetic teams that build innovative, creative and high-impact campaigns. This person must be results-oriented and comfortable working in an environment that tracks, measures and optimizes the impact of their work in connecting consumers with our brand and products.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Develop a world-class creative team with a vision and structure that attracts top talent and meets the needs of a growing organization
- Serve as the respected Creative Leader for a tech-forward, data-driven media company focused on transactions that drive subscription, advertiser and membership revenue.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders and outside agency partners to develop high-impact campaigns that bring the brand to life while prompting engagement and enrollment
- Articulate creative strategies and plans that are easily understood and embraced by a range of partners within the organization: acquisition marketers, marketing and PR teams, show developers and producers, product designers, senior management and Discovery partners
- Lead, mentor and develop a cross-functional team of creatives to execute across all major design projects across video (TV and digital), audio, social, digital, OOH, experiential and content
- Build out and lead the creative strategy, involving marketing, branding and design for entire company
- Work with leaders to identify and prioritize key brand and acquisition creative initiatives to support growth and experience for existing and prospective customers
- Cultivate ownership of marketing initiatives and performance across the creative team through iteration, experimentation and subject matter expertise in products and/or channels
- Implement creative strategies that aim to improve the connectivity of the consumer to the MotorTrend brand and products
- This position will include supervising one or more employees where applicable. Supervisory responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide consistent training, support, and mentorship to team
- Review and approve individual timecards (as needed) and time-off requests to ensure optimal staffing levels
- Effective, fair, and consistent performance management
- Fairly and consistently ensure compliance with company policies and procedures
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Must have a track record that demonstrates strong leadership, managerial and mentorship skills and have the ability to build strong working teams, preferably within a digital-forward and data-driven company
- Proven track record of implementing successful marketing, branding and design strategies in the digital space, preferably with demonstrated success in building subscription or membership products
- Must be able to exercise strong interpersonal skills and be an excellent communicator with the ability to relate to a wide variety of audiences
- Must have a track record as a creative leader who is able to think outside the box to lead conceptual thinking in addition to clearly articulating the creative vision for the brand across multiple channels
- Must be a great teammate who practices selfless leadership in order to develop and foster the best team possible
- Have a collaborative spirit and embrace the opportunity to work across a variety of departments
- Demonstrate a keen attention to detail and ability to produce quality and timely work
- Take a well-rounded approach to making important business decisions
- Ability to be flexible and shift easily between projects while remaining focused on key business objectives
- Be results-oriented and comfortable working in an environment that tracks, measures and optimizes the impact of their work
- Must thrive in a fast-paced work environment and have the ability to easily adapt to changes and new developments
- Must be able to deliver strategies that are consumer centric and that strive to connect the customer to the product
- Be a proactive, self-starter with an outgoing personality and business savvy
- Must be energized by the potential of growing, developing and driving a business forward
- Deep appreciation and passion for the car culture, media, storytelling, journalism, television and digital storytelling.
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.