Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, the MotorTrend Group is the largest automotive media company in the world. Launched with MotorTrend’s iconic magazine 70 years ago, the company now has a global reach that includes MotorTrend TV, the MotorTrend streaming service, MotorTrend.com, and Hot Rod magazine, with franchises that include MotorTrend Car of the Year, Roadkill, Wheeler Dealers, Best Driver’s Car and dozens more. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Director of External Production (full-time, salaried, regular) will help oversee and manage original content produced outside of the MotorTrend Studio. Working with third-party production entities, this person will have creative oversight of a variety of projects, managing the efforts of multiple productions and production companies simultaneously. You will also have a strong partnership with the Development function and will be part of the process of building projects from the ground up. You will need a strong history of creating content around several genres, especially but not limited to entertainment and factual series. You will play a large role in our most high-profile projects and are expected to find new ways of talking to audiences.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Serve as Team Lead and Main Contact on all aspects of production for Network projects as assigned by network VP of Production. Directly responsible for pushing project information to internal Network teams and ensuring that the network is maximizing the potential of each project in all stages of production.
- Supervision of entire creative process – from treatment review to final delivery on original, co-production and reversion projects.
- Review and convey timely comments to program producers on all stages of development and production.
Work with the team to develop new creative concepts, formats and show ideas as well as give input to grow existing shows into their best versions.
- Review, edit, and approve preliminary and final treatments, outlines, shooting scripts, scripts, production schedules, budgets, selects, graphics, music, rough cuts, fine cuts, final narration and final versions of all assigned programs.
- Coordinate casting of talent for network projects. Review talent audition material and work with talent team on contract negotiations.
- Communication of production information to all internal (ex. Production Management, Business Affairs, Legal, Scheduling, Marketing, Communications, Social, Online, Business Development, Consumer Products, etc.) and external parties associated with the production including the Network senior management team as necessary.
- Management of multiple outside production companies on multiple series and specials simultaneously, and in coordination with MT/DCI internal departments to ensure timely, effective and on-budget development, production and delivery of original commissions and co-productions.
- Supervision of all production phases of reversions or repackaging, including editing, re-narration, post-production audio, scripting, graphics and field and studio production.
- The Executive Producer will be held jointly accountable for the effective business and financial management of their programs.
- Acts as network representative to outside organizations and responsible for maintaining relationships with external vendors and clients.
- Help guide departmental support staff members.
- Help manage on-air and off camera talent as it relates to all aspects of the creative process. In concert with Talent Relations, Communications, Marketing, Social, Online and other internal units, assist in the coordination of talent as it relates to promotion, press, digital outreach and the overall support of the program/series.
- Will be expected to share ideas and contribute to the strategic vision and direction of the network.
- Must always think through the “big picture” when managing the production process. Will be held accountable for exploring the possibilities for each show managed (ex. Digital opportunities, VOD offering, commerce options, potential of project to become an event or series, etc.).
- Must contribute to team initiatives that have network-wide implications as determined by Sr. Management (ex. best practices, sharing information, improving vendor relations, business affairs processes, etc.).
- This position includes supervising one or more employees. Supervisory responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide consistent training, support, and mentorship to team.
- Review and approve individual timecards (as needed) and time-off requests to ensure optimal staffing levels.
- Effective, fair, and consistent performance management.
- Fairly and consistently ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- 10-plus years field or studio production experience as producer or writer in film or video documentary, reality, drama, general entertainment, informational, how-to, talk, etc.
- Proven excellent leadership skills.
- Excellent people management skills and experience of managing teams, preferably through a period of change.
- Detail oriented, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Experience in producing Talent-led series experience is a must.
- Multi camera event programming experience is a plus.
- A demonstrated track record in creative execution and ratings performance.
- Experience managing a slate of multiple television projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated aptitude to work closely with external producers to represent the network’s needs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the creative process from concept to air.
- Ability to work closely with related divisions including press, marketing, ad sales, social, business development and consumer products.
- Experience working with on-air talent including: hosts, experts, and cast members. Live production experience preferred.
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
- Some travel required at Industry Events and Production Shoots, Meetings, including potentially international
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.