Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, the MotorTrend Group is the largest automotive media company in the world. Launched with MotorTrend’s iconic magazine 70 years ago, the company now has a global reach that includes MotorTrend TV, the MotorTrend streaming service, MotorTrend.com, and Hot Rod magazine, with franchises that include MotorTrend Car of the Year, Roadkill, Wheeler Dealers, Best Driver’s Car and dozens more. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Corporate Counsel [full-time, salaried, regular] will support the Head of Legal within the Legal Department.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Corporate Counsel will support the functions of the Legal Department within the entertainment-technology media company by reviewing, drafting, negotiating and managing commercial agreements.
- Advise business clients on the legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, company policies and procedures.
- Create and improve agreements templates, fallbacks, trainings, processes and other resources. Provide support to members of the Legal Department as and when required.
- Assist in legal research and the analysis of key issues that may impact the business in areas including but not limited to Intellectual Property, Advertising, Technology Development and Implementation, Digital Media Production, Affiliate/Distribution Relationships, Business Development, E-Commerce, Labor and Employment.
- Work cross-departmentally with an aim to reduce business risk through document review and is responsible for participating in and managing corporate agreements in the drafting, preparing, examining, analyzing, negotiating and revising legal documents both as vendor and customer.
- Maintain, develop and improve upon policies, processes and procedures to ensure efficiencies are maintained and consistently-increasing growth and scope are accounted; Maintain accurate records and files in databases to ensure reporting accuracy. Identifies opportunities for collaboration in strategy manner.
- Flexible and pro-active approach including a recognition that some work may be needed to support key deals out of usual working hours and on different time zones.
- This position will not include supervising one or more employees where applicable.
- Juris Doctor with strong academic record.
- Member of CA State Bar or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel.
- 2 years in law firm or corporate in-house legal department.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills ensuring key stakeholders are consistently kept apprised of progress.
- Ability to manage own time judiciously and deal effectively with competing interests.
- Ability to offer good business and legal judgment as well as commercial knowledge.
- Technically proficient lawyer with excellent understanding of contract law and drafting skills.
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Google Suite and other corporate department database software and tools.
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.