Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, the MotorTrend Group is the largest automotive media company in the world. Launched with MotorTrend’s iconic magazine 70 years ago, the company now has a global reach that includes MotorTrend TV, the MotorTrend streaming service, MotorTrend.com, and Hot Rod magazine, with franchises that include MotorTrend Car of the Year, Roadkill, Wheeler Dealers, Best Driver’s Car and dozens more. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Associate Editor (full-time, salaried, regular) will research, report, write, and post vehicle-based news, reviews, and feature editorial to the MotorTrend Automotive Group suite of sites. You will work with an expert team of seasoned automotive editors and other in-house and external collaborators to ensure a steady cadence of optimized and engaging editorial. Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Research, report, and write stories, ensuring a high degree of factual accuracy and grammatical clarity before submitting assigned editorial to senior editors.
- Build stories, source and size images, and tag editorial properly using search engine optimization techniques and through the Wordpress content management tool.
- Actively pitch and execute editorial features in addition to executing assigned pieces.
- Establish and maintain automotive industry contacts and use contacts to cultivate story ideas.
- Some local, national, and international travel may be required.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned by supervisor
- This position will not include supervising employees.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Journalism or English disciplines
- Previous experience in a publishing environment preferred, or equivalent education and experience
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Baseline understanding of the automotive industry and desire to learn more
- Ability to communicate complex issues using lively, clear, and concise writing
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work quickly and meet tight deadlines
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop tools, digital photography, and Wordpress a plus
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.