Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendGroup
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Wheeler Dealers, Roadkill, Best Driver’s Car, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
The MotorTrend Group is looking for a Senior Manager, Content Operations (full-time, salaried, regular) to develop, deploy, update and manage its vehicle buyer’s guide and ranking system and provide strategic insights and recommendations around its automotive content. This is a key, hands-on position requiring a strong journalistic background in line-editing, copy editing, and fact-checking, as well as managing copy flow to tight deadlines.
The Senior Manager of Content Operations will oversee the day-to-day content development, management and publishing on MotorTrend.com and other sites within MotorTrend Group. This person will work closely with other content and homepage producers, and own Vehicle Rankings and Car/Truck/SUV Buyer’s Guide segments, and make strategic recommendations that best serve the audience. They will work in a fast-paced news environment and focus on real-time audience engagement and growth. We need a self-starter with high standards who can collaborate well, has excellent communication skills and is comfortable taking feedback.
The Senior Manager of Content Operations is super-curious, passionate, with a strategic mindset that comes from experience in a senior leadership position in a newsroom or digital content company. This team player displays amazing attention to detail and a strong journalistic background with an emphasis on editing—copy editing, line editing, and fact-checking. The position also involves instilling strong editing standards across the site, as well as mentoring and working with more junior editors and writers.
We need a data-driven self-starter with high standards who can collaborate well, has excellent communication skills, and is ready to dig deep into content and readership analytics while devising strategies across platforms to help the MotorTrend Group grow its audience and hit its targets.
• Develop, deploy, update and manage a full line vehicle ranking strategy & operations.
• Work with product, Content & Business Intelligence teams to actively manage & update vehicle rankings database.
• Oversee Buyer’s guide operations & content experience.
• Provide training, best practices & oversee performance of the CMS team.
• Work with content operations associate to oversee and improve content scheduling & content pipeline.
• Grow engagement across MTG websites. Study performance data in real-time, using tools such as Chartbeat to make strategic decisions about headlines, story placement, etc.
• Apply SEO best practices to improve overall content discovery and visibility.
• Provide strategic, data-driven recommendations to grow pageview and vistor traffic to the homepage and other sections of MotorTrend.com and its sister sites.
• Manage the production of short stories, slideshows and other digital content as needed.
• Work with digital producers, editors and writers on innovative packages and new ways of storytelling.
• Provide regular insights and training to journalists and leaders across the newsroom so they can contribute to audience-building goals.
• Have at least 5-7 years of experience writing and editing, primarily for an online publication, on the automotive industry.
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism preferred.
• Website/CMS platform management experience.
• Obsession with digital metrics and understanding of audience-growth best practices.
• Active social media user/familiarity with various social platform details
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
• Be capable of planning and turning around stories ranging from short news pieces to longer features at a quick pace.
• Ability to respond nimbly to news events with related assignments.
• Have an editorial skill set that includes fact-checking, line editing, copy editing and headline writing.
• Be organized, detail-oriented, and a careful editor and writer
• Be skilled with multitasking and working closely with our growing editorial team, including managing special projects and enterprise pieces
• The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
• Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Knowledge of HTML, CSS, FTP and other web scripting practices. Familiarity with live stream products and software
• Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
• This position is full-time. Evening/weekend work may be required.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.