MotoRefi is a fast-growing, mission-driven startup offering better auto refinancing, insurance and financial protection products. By partnering with credit unions and community banks, we help our customers find the best solutions for their financial needs. Our technology makes the refinancing process quick and easy. The result? We save customers an average of $100/month on their monthly payments and much more. MotoRefi recently raised our Series A, and is proud to be backed by a great team of venture and angel investors from QED Investors, Accomplice, Link Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures, Gaingels, the former COO of Venmo and others.
Our growth and expansion means that our consumer web application needs to be highly polished, yet designed with sufficient flexibility to add new products, customize workflows, and cobrand with our partners. We also develop and maintain internal applications that provide significant leverage to our operations teammates. The backend that runs all of this is evolving toward an event sourced architecture that supports the highly asynchronous and multi-modal workflows we are automating. Our current stage provides a seasoned full stack engineer with a healthy mix of familiar and novel challenges, and a high degree of agency to solve them.
You most likely identify with many of these qualities:
- Passionate software engineer that loves building polished products
- Collaborator that thrives in a social atmosphere and actively contributes to improving processes, workflows, and communication
- Maker who doesn’t relent until finding a both elegant and practical solution to a problem
- Systems thinker who understands the value of automation and infrastructure as code
- Quick study that readily picks up new languages, frameworks, and tools
- Person who cares deeply that your work realizes positive outcomes for our world
What we are looking for
There are always exceptions, and we are looking for exceptional individuals, so nothing on this list is strictly required. However, if some of these match your experiences, then you would likely thrive in this role:
- Built and maintained web services that were subjected to a high request volume
- Built interactive web applications using a modern framework
- Implemented monitoring and alerting to understand the health of the apps and diagnose issues
- Utilized a variety of databases for different use cases (e.g., relational, document, graph, object storage)
- Scaled out infrastructure using automation tooling (e.g., Pulumi, Terraform, CDK)
- Utilized and evangelized functional programming patterns
Technologies we teach and use
- TypeScript, Scala, Ruby, Python
- Next.js (React.js), Google Firebase, Apache Beam, Rails
- Postgresql, Redis, FireStore, BigQuery, S3/GCS
- Google Cloud (PubSub, Functions, and others), Heroku
- Rollbar, Segment, CodeFresh, LogDNA
- Flexible hours and remote work
- Fantastic health, dental, and vision
- Generous PTO and 6-10 weeks of parental leave
- Culture focused on cross-functional collaboration
- Early stage equity
- Lots of choice in workstation, peripherals, tools, etc.
- Coffee, tea, soda, and healthy snacks (once office reopens)
- Coworkers are passionate about working in our customers’ best interests
- See people as people
- Take care of each other
- Commit to the mission
- Move quickly and bravely
- Get better everyday
- Seek truth
Applying for this position
If you would like to explore this position further (and we sincerely hope that you do!) then there will be two steps to complete. First, submit personal information, resume, and answer a few short questions. Then, after you submit this form you will be provided a link to a software engineer quiz. This fun and challenging multiple-choice test will give us valuable insight into your technical acumen. You should plan approximately 20-30min to complete. Good luck and enjoy!
MotoRefi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, marital status, military or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and the scope and responsibilities are subject to change. Pre-employment background check is required as a condition of employment.