We are looking for team players who are excited about being part of a fast-moving company, curious enough to ask questions and explore new ideas, passionate enough to serve our customers and communities, and ready to take ownership of challenges and grow with us. We are a team, first and foremost, and we take pride in our collaborative efforts; Everyone is accountable for achieving our goals.
We are looking for a Purchasing Manager to join our group as the key contributor to the Supply Chain, Product Development and Manufacturing Teams. Your role will be to lead the purchasing function, managing both the internal buying team as well as working with the 3rd party contractors and strategic partners, reporting directly to the Supply Chain Director. Additional responsibilities will include direct and indirect material sourcing as well as working with engineering and suppliers to reduce risk in the sourcing process and deliver materials on time. Responsibilities include cross-functional sourcing leadership, and driving projects to successful conclusion in a timely manner. Candidates should enjoy getting their hands dirty and must be comfortable analyzing complex systems, and collaborating with subject matter experts.
As a small and growing company, we are critically dependent on our team members’ leadership, enthusiasm, creative problem solving, and self-motivation across a wide range of both technical and nontechnical disciplines.
- Provide leadership to the Purchasing team (buyers), including strategies to succeed and meet organizational goals and objectives.
- Counsel and develop team members, ensuring a work environment, aligned with Motiv values, that promotes sourcing service, teamwork, individual recognition, mutual respect and employee satisfaction.
- Institute and manage goals and metrics to ensure proper performance measures are in place. Coordinate the reports necessary to gather data and report on the progress and success of these performance measures.
- Partner in assessment of potential suppliers and supplier selection with relevant stakeholders (Engineering, Quality). On an ongoing basis lead/support supplier reporting/score-carding.
- Develop and update the overall Supply Chain Strategy including Sourcing decisions, Planning, Quality/Cost/Delivery optimization, overall SC resilience with changing market conditions.
- Work with SC Director and Finance to set goals and departmental budget.
- Provide clear data and visibility to part availability for current production by utilizing the full extent of our ERP system. Work with ERP provider to tailor and improve this visibility as necessary.
- Ensure Master Planning within the ERP system supports overall company objectives and provides for on-time delivery of customer vehicles.
- Work cross functionally to ensure engineering changes are executed properly within the supply chain and at the point of fit.
- Drive execution of inventory best practices at all Motiv sites, ensuring the best combination of on-shelf and Just-in-Time inventory to support customers.
- Ensure strategies and tactics are in place to meet inventory objectives.
- Develops operations strategies by anticipating requirements and trends of our inventory management systems.
- Proactively assess and manage inventory asset risk (i.e. inventory obsolescence, age, relevance) for the corporation. Coordinate the disposition of said materials and participate in the MRB process.
- Partner with management and corporate leadership to improve vendor performance and customer satisfaction.
- Hire, lead, direct and manage the Purchasing team including daily workflow, master planning and departmental schedules.
- Implement customer programs as necessary (e.g. MRP, contracts, bonded inventory programs, and consignment, etc.).
- Implement vendor programs as necessary (e.g. VMI, online portals, inventory reports, stocking packages, stock rotations).
- Assists in issue resolution with vendors and suppliers and carriers.
- Troubleshoot breakdowns in process when performance measures and objectives are not achieved with an emphasis to find root cause and implement permanent corrective actions.
- Some travel may be required.
- Minimum of 10-20 years’ experience of purchasing items in supply chain/ manufacturing/ medical device/ aerospace industry / automotive industry.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience as a purchasing manager
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in working with ERP systems
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience digitizing supply chain functions and managing transformations.
- B.S. required
- Strong math and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft office, Google Suite, ERP platforms like Plex and other software systems
This is a full-time, regular position based in either Foster City, CA or Hayward, CA or in Novi, MI. Candidates only, please – no recruiters. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, & 401(k), Company paid Basic Life and AD&D, Employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Founded in 2009, and headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Motiv Power Systems, a leading provider of software and technology to electrify medium duty commercial vehicles, is committed to freeing fleets from their dependence on fossil fuels. Motiv’s EPIC (Electric Powered Intelligent Chassis) are CARB certified, GSA approved, and available for many configurations including step vans, box trucks, work trucks, shuttle buses, school buses, trolleys, and other specialty vehicles. An EPIC offers uncompromised performance and functionality without the pollution, noise, heat, and vibration of gasoline or diesel power.
Motiv is the only Ford eQVM-approved provider of all-electric chassis for commercial trucks and buses and benefits from engineering insights and support from Ford to ensure safety and reliability. With more than 500,000 miles logged among several of the largest fleet operators in the United States, the EPIC family eliminates 100% of vehicle emissions, dramatically reduces operating and maintenance costs, and creates a healthier environment for riders and communities, while also reducing driver fatigue.