We are looking for team players who are excited about being part of a fast-moving company, curious enough to ask questions and explore new ideas, passionate enough to serve our customers and communities, and ready to take ownership of challenges and grow with us. We are a team, first and foremost, and we take pride in our collaborative efforts; Everyone is accountable for achieving our goals.
We are looking for a smart, enthusiastic Mechanical Engineer to join us in transforming an industry. In this position your primary responsibility will be to design and develop Motiv’s vehicle thermal systems. You will collaborate within a multidisciplinary team to improve our existing designs while developing our nextgen technology. At Motiv you will find many opportunities to get up from your desk to pitch in and try something new. This position is located in Novi, MI, United States, but will provide support to our headquarters in Foster City, CA. Must have can-do attitude.
- Design routing and retention of hoses, battery cooling lines; design and develop fittings and joints that allow ease of assembly, service and robust functionality.
- Develop designs for manufacturability and assembly while optimizing for cost (scaling to higher volume).
- Develop BOM, 3D and 2D CAD, GD&T, materials specifications.
- Participate in developing next generation ideas and state of art technology in the heavy-duty electric vehicle industry.
- Design and develop technical requirements for interfacing systems (give and get).
- Work with partners, vendors, customers, and Motiv’s manufacturing team to integrate Motiv products in new vehicle applications.
- Lead resolution of design, manufacturing, supplier quality issues; provide on-site build support.
- Interface cross-functionally to drive program delivery.
- Lead failure mode analysis, FMEAs and DVP for all hardware and systems.
- Participate in design reviews with the engineering team and cross functionally.
- Develop your skills and help improve Motiv’s engineering expertise.
- Strong advocacy for rigorous engineering discipline throughout the organization.
- Mentor junior engineers.
Required Experience and Skills
- BS in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) and 8+ years of relevant experience preferably in the automotive industry
- Design and develop hardware that includes but is not limited to:
- Battery cooling systems components
- HVAC systems and associated components
- Control strategy of battery cooling and HVAC
- Develop elegant solutions to complex engineering problems for cooling systems
- Design routing and retention of hoses, battery cooling lines; design and develop fittings and joints
- Strong experience with fittings, hoses and hardline development (routing & retainment)
- Experience taking designs from conception to production
- Proficient with SolidWorks and experience with PDM software
- Understanding of ANSI Y14.5 drawing standards and their application through GD&T
- Experience designing for rugged or automotive environments
- Experience with FEA and thermal analysis
- Deep knowledge of heat transfer, thermodynamics and control systems
- Model development and simulation tools
- Experience with Bill of Material and Change Management Systems
- Strong knowledge of automotive product development systems and design disciplines
- Expert level understanding of FMA, FMEA, DVP, Process Control Plan, DFM, DFA, root cause analysis techniques
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to excel in a team environment.
- Experience working with or leading contractors, vendors, and remote team members.
- High level of accuracy; ability to work with tight schedules.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive and comprehensive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Dental, Vision, HSA, & 401(k), Company paid Basic Life and AD&D, Employee paid Voluntary Life and AD&D.
- Generous PTO policy, 11 Paid Company Holidays
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and Education Reimbursement
- Fresh daily snacks and a healthy Work/Life Balance
- Access to Perks at Work - Discounted learning, tickets, electronics, travel, health, restaurants & retail
- Free Online Training & Development
- Bicycle friendly, with bike storage available to all Foster City employees with a 5 minute walk to the scenic Bay Front
- Regular Happy Hours, Company Cultural Events, and more!
Founded in 2009, and headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, Motiv Power Systems, a leading provider of software and technology to electrify medium duty commercial vehicles, is committed to freeing fleets from their dependence on fossil fuels. Motiv’s EPIC (Electric Powered Intelligent Chassis) are CARB certified, GSA approved, and available for many configurations including step vans, box trucks, work trucks, shuttle buses, school buses, trolleys, and other specialty vehicles. An EPIC offers uncompromised performance and functionality without the pollution, noise, heat, and vibration of gasoline or diesel power.
Motiv is the only Ford eQVM-approved provider of all-electric chassis for commercial trucks and buses and benefits from engineering insights and support from Ford to ensure safety and reliability. With more than 500,000 miles logged among several of the largest fleet operators in the United States, the EPIC family eliminates 100% of vehicle emissions, dramatically reduces operating and maintenance costs, and creates a healthier environment for riders and communities, while also reducing driver fatigue.