The Senior Systems Engineer is an engineering role that implements DevOps principles when designing, deploying, measuring, and automating the hosting and storage infrastructure. You will participate in the planning, design, and implementation of all system/storage technology related activities of the organization. You will collaborate with your team, IT, internal customers, and vendor/partners to identify opportunities for improvements to our current systems.
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development at 4734 Second Avenue, a culmination of the city’s goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela river, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
What You'll Be Doing
- Develop SLO and SLI objectives that align with engineering objectives.
- Continuous efforts to improve the collection of telemetry data from various data sources to include syslog, app logs, SNMP, test outputs, etc.
- Develop test plans and continuous, automated testing scripts
- Look for opportunities to “codify” current environment through Infrastructure as Code (IaC) leveraging code repository, version control, secrets management, etc.
- Constantly look for automation opportunities to reduce toil and meet SLAs.
- Provide support for our network and security operations globally by interacting with others to troubleshoot and resolve a variety of issues.
- Mentor existing staff and assist with the team’s digital transformation
What We're Looking For
- 3+ years of systems operations and support experience
- Experience with design, configuration, and support of business-critical IT systems
- Advanced technical troubleshooting, diagnosing and problem-solving skills
- Deep knowledge of storage technologies such as InfiniBand, iSCSCI, nfs, RDMA, block, file, etc.
- Deep knowledge of hosting systems to include VMWare, Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
- Demonstrated competency in Linux operating system (Ubuntu and CentOS)
- Comfortable using the Linux/Unix command line and command line tools
- Competency with the Python scripting language
- Knowledge of CI/CD tools including, Ansible, Git, Terraform, etc.
- Work effectively with very limited oversight
- Very strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- A desire to continue learning
- A personal commitment to quality
Bonus Points (not required)
- Wide range of technical competency outside of system/storage a plus
- Technical Certifications such as Cloud (AWS) a plus
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.