Motional is seeking a talented Senior Triage Engineer in a cross-team integration role to join the Triage team under the Test Engineering, Automation and Tools group to deliver capabilities in support of maintaining a high level of system quality and vehicle behavior for our autonomous driving technology. Ideal candidates for this position must have experience with system and sub-system level analysis, release coordination and release management, verification and validation methodologies, systems and safety product lifecycles, and cross team collaboration across software, testing and project management groups. Different from a traditional Software Quality Assurance (SQA) role, this position uniquely cross-cuts across “testing and operations'' functions on the right half of the systems V-model and “software development and systems / safety requirements'' functions on the left half of the V-model.
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development at 4734 Second Avenue, a culmination of the city’s goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela river, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
What You'll Be Doing
- Execute on cross-team Triage integration responsibilities such as coordinating the release performance with the software groups and objectively evaluating the impact of software changes on the vehicle performance.
- Perform detailed Root Cause Analysis (RCA), Fault Tree Assessment (FTA), Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA) on several different test modalities such as -- public roads, closed course, simulation and Hardware-in-Loop (HIL).
- Understand the Autonomous Vehicle (AV) Functional Safety (FuSa) and SOTIF requirements to generate, document and report the software issues for effective risk management.
- Synthesize the test output data analysis in relation to the Systems and Safety requirements for the expected AV behavior.
- Drive the relative software release performance narrative, recommend improvements to the Triage and Software leadership and coordinate the decisions to their final outcomes across the organization.
- Steer key quarterly software performance milestones in the context of understanding Triage results and applying them to make critical decisions around release selection, feature flags and A/B release testing.
- Package the system and sub-system level analysis and demonstrate improvements over time to the technical leadership, program management and key stakeholders in different organizations.
- Develop stakeholder documentation such as vehicle behavior changes, summary of release notes, software release reports, process training, knowledge base for common issues and outbrief content to the Triage external stakeholders.
- Optimize and implement Triage processes, collaborate with data platforms, test automation, infrastructure and tooling teams for functional user requirements.
- Show initiative and be a valued team member in our innovative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where cooperative teamwork across locations is the norm.
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor's or higher degree in Engineering -- such as Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, Robotics, or equivalent knowledge and work experience.
- 5+ years of professional experience working on safety critical and complex systems such as -- Robotics, Autonomous Vehicles, Automotive, Medical Devices or Aerospace Technologies.
- Experience with software engineering concepts, including requirements analysis, source control, build processes, design reviews.
- Experience with Linux and scripting languages (E.g: Bash/Shell, Python).
- Experience using issue tracking and configuration management tools (E.g: Atlassian Confluence, Jira, Bitbucket, Git).
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to think logically and remove bias from evaluation of problems.
- Strong troubleshooting, debugging, and analytical and creative problem solving skills.
Bonus Points (not required)
- Experience with systems verification and validation techniques.
- Experience with trunk based software development and release management principles
- Experience with automotive standards (E.g: ISO 12207, ISO 26262, ISO 21448).
- Experience with software quality management and assurance activities (E.g: IATF 16949, ISO 9001).
- Thorough understanding of robotics systems including sensors, actuators, mechatronics and software systems.
- Experience with autonomous driving, robotics systems and/or other distributed systems.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.