In partnership with commercial and functionally-organized engineering teams, Motional’s Technology Strategy team leverages broad technical expertise in autonomous transportation to identify opportunities, prototype solutions, and produce market pursuit proposals related to new applications of Motional’s autonomous vehicle technology. Much like an early-stage startup, the team’s philosophy emphasizes rapid prototyping and learning by doing. By developing and executing pilot activities in close coordination with market analysis and product definition work, the team helps define Motional’s mid- and long-term technology strategy for new product applications.
This hands-on technical role will play a key part in a small engineering team that modifies hardware and software as required for pilot activities. In addition to adapting components from existing applications to work for prototypes, and developing brand new capabilities needed for new applications, they will work with Motional’s product managers, architects, and engineering leaders to influence and plan future company-wide development work. They will support the development of market pursuit proposals, including detailed technical feature lists as well as estimates of cost and effort required, that will chart the course for Motional to deliver new products to market.
The Motional global headquarters are located at 100 Northern Avenue in Boston, MA. Nestled in the bustling Seaport district with sweeping views of Boston Harbor and downtown Boston, the offices are located close to major transit lines and a quick walk to various restaurants and popular attractions.
What You'll Be Doing
- Contributing to architectural, commercial, and technical pilot project proposals for review and approval by Motional senior leadership
- Developing hardware, such as user interfaces, integration with robotic systems, and component integrations, needed to adapt Motional’s expansive technology stack for use in pilots and proof-of-concept demonstrations, and supporting the execution of those pilots
- Interacting with customers, partners, and subject matter experts to inform and support development work
- Helping to define the commercial and technical roadmap for new technology applications
- Supporting hiring of motivated, flexible, and innovative team members
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical or mechanical engineering or equivalent field, or commensurate professional experience
- 5+ years relevant professional experience, preferably in complex HW/SW environments such as robotics or autonomous vehicles
- Soft skills that promote effective teamwork, including empathy, influencing without authority, low ego/”not invented here syndrome”, and the ability to build trust with your team, peers, and senior leadership
- Ability to quickly orient to complex systems and navigate changes required to adapt to new needs
- Ability to thrive in early-stage, ambiguous technical environments needing creative, efficient solutions, including a willingness to tackle any technical task required to move a project forward
- Experience delivering tangible results despite obstacles
- Strong communication skills suitable for executive and customer audiences
Bonus Points (not required)
- Experience in L4 vehicle autonomy, robotics, or a related automation field, particularly working closely with software and systems engineers in safety-critical applications
- Experience with systems engineering disciplines, including requirements management, failure mode analysis, root cause analysis, and similar
- Experience planning and estimating large, uncertain development projects
Why You Should Join Us
Members of the Technology Strategy team have an outsized influence on Motional’s impact on the self-driving industry. By scouting ahead and providing a rough map of the technology strategy to pursue new opportunities, team members influence the decisions of Motional’s senior leadership and the trajectory of the company as a whole.