Motional is looking for a Senior Product Designer to help us deliver a user experience that is intuitive, comfortable, user-centered, and that will develop trust for this state-of-the-art technology. You’ll be on a small, fast-paced agile team, collaborating with other Machine Learning Researchers, Product Managers, and Front-end Engineers.
You’ll initially lead design for our Data Visualization Team/Autonomy Platform, and will have the opportunity to work on various projects and product areas over time, primarily supporting our engineering team workflows.
Please submit your resume, and an online or PDF portfolio with at least 3 projects that best represent your capabilities, skills and interests.
What You'll Be Doing
- Lead design of new products
- Rapid prototyping and iteration in tandem with engineers and researchers
- Web-based, front end development, visualize data in new ways unique to AVs, interactive tools, process management,
- Lead design deliverables in our Data Visualization Team
- Create UX deliverables including user flows, wireframes, prototypes, etc.
- Deliver polished, pixel-perfect UI Design artifacts
- Plan and lead large complex design initiatives
- Work with engineers to implement designs you create, ensuring quality
- Contribute to large design team initiatives such as team design guidelines
- Identify and problem solve when issues with progress arise, shifting timelines and approach to meet new demands as needed
- Lead with a team-focused mindset to problem solving - pull in others such as researchers and engineers into collaborative ideation sessions
- Working closely with engineering and researchers to gain intimate knowledge of the technical aspects of the platform(s)
- Conduct user research within the team to understand user’s key needs, problems, and desires
- Define how people interact with the future of autonomous vehicles!
What We're Looking For
- You are passionate about solving hard problems most haven’t faced before.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Graphic Design, UX Design, Interactive Media, or similar
- Ability to lead major design initiatives with little guidance
- 5+ years of hands on experience in an in-house design team or consulting/design agency
- Desire and ability to grow into more of a leadership position as the team expands
- Experience with planning large workstreams, meeting measurable goals and deadlines
- Strong experience in all stages of the design process, from early strategy and ideation, wireframes and prototypes, to the final implementation of UI design.
- Strong design experience with data heavy complex applications and tools
- Experience designing for web-based applications, and the considerations and restrictions around browsers
- Experience working within a cross functional product team alongside product managers, ux researchers, engineers etc. in an agile environment (i.e. software company, startup, etc.)
- Experience taking feedback from users, and iterating on design
- Experience with industry standard design tools, such as Figma, Sketch, Zeplin, and the Adobe Creative Suite.
Bonus Points (not required)
- Experience mentoring and managing a small team of designers
- Experience with any sort of programming (i.e. JS/CSS)
- Experience working on Machine Learning/AI products
- Extensive experience with user research
- Experience working in the autonomous vehicle or automotive industry
Why You Should Join Us
- This role offers the opportunity to work on extremely challenging problems that haven’t been solved at scale. We’re looking for someone excited to tackle problems such as – how do we quickly surface vital information about our vehicle’s performance? How do we efficiently annotate thousands of hours of driving? What is the best way to find interesting situations to annotate? Our team is driven, not afraid, to solve problems like this.
- Support Machine Learning Scientist - Get to work with Machine Learning Scientists (PhDs)
- Motional’s Product Team, where this role sits, is at the forefront of setting the vision for our products – from the experience of riding in an autonomous vehicle, to how to manage a fleet, to how roads are mapped, and more. We lead with a user-focused mindset, and as a Senior Product Designer you’ll have a direct impact in shaping the future of mobility as a whole.
- Lastly, while autonomous vehicles have been around for years, we are finally bringing this technology to market at scale. With over 100,000 public autonomous rides, and partnerships with major ride hailing players, a role at Motional offers the chance to drive the next revolution in mobility.