Motional builds state-of-the-art fully autonomous vehicles. Building across software, hardware, vehicle, and cloud solutions for the car. The Drive-by-wire / Motion Controls team works on control algorithms development, to generate trajectory tracking control of different vehicle platforms provided by OEMs, embedded controller hardware bring up, and safety features (system health monitoring, backup controls when failure happens, redundant system design) to meet ASIL-D standards for autonomous driving.
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development at 4734 Second Avenue, a culmination of the city’s goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela river, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, implement, and tune real-time controllers for steering, throttle, and brake systems for various self-driving driving vehicles.
- Develop and optimize estimators to observe relevant vehicle states and disturbances.
- Derive, fit, and simulate accurate vehicle dynamics models.
- Implement the prototype vehicle control algorithms in an autonomous vehicle for on-road and simulation tests.
- Work with algorithm experts in perception, motion planning and platform control.
- Show initiative and be a valued team member in our innovative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where cooperative teamwork is the norm.
- Build new concepts and groundbreaking solutions that shape the future of mobility.
What You’ll Bring:
- 3+ years of experience implementing controllers, based on classical and modern control theory.
- Masters or PhD preferred in Robotics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related area or 5+ years industry experience in controls for robotic systems is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of linear/non-linear control theory (MPC, LQR, PID), kinematics, mechanical system dynamics is preferred.
- Experience with MATLAB/Simulink is preferred.
- Experience in implementing, using debugging high-fidelity dynamics simulators is preferred.
- Experience in embedded system development
- Experience in Vehicle dynamics
- Familiar with Automotive SPICE and ISO26262
- C/C++ development
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.