The Principal Motion Planning Engineer strategizes with leads, software developers, and research scientists to apply innovative solutions for the motion planning of autonomous vehicles.
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development at 4734 Second Avenue, a culmination of the city’s goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela river, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
What You'll Do:
- Develop state-of-the-art motion planning algorithms and software to ensure the vehicle navigates safely and smoothly.
- Make high level contributions improving and scaling the motion planner
- Strategize with perception and prediction components upstream and trajectory optimization tracking & control components downstream
- Integrate and evaluate combinations of motion planning and prediction algorithms
- Develop a variety of algorithms on planning for autonomous driving, including but not limited to search-based methods, sampling-based methods, optimization-based methods, linear-temporal logic, and decision making under uncertainty.
- Guide and mentor junior team members to develop a culture of product focused engineering, research, and development.
- Develop and support motion planning algorithms from ground up all the way to deployment on autonomous vehicles
What You'll Bring:
- Masters or PhD degree in Robotics, EE, CE, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Proven impact and expertise in robotics / autonomous vehicle motion planning
- 8+ years of experience in robotics research or software.
- 5+ years of C++ software development
- Past experience owning and leading technical development on features from problem formulation through implementation and deployment
- Thirst for knowledge and continuous innovation
Motional is making driverless vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
Our team is commercializing a world-class driverless system. The Motional team is behind some of the industry’s largest leaps forward in the last decade, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world’s first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world’s most-established public robotaxi fleet. Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives.
Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the US and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.