Who We Are
Moon Creative Lab is a design-led innovation hub in Palo Alto and Tokyo. We incubate new ventures. Uniquely, we work across sectors like healthcare and agriculture, entertainment and technology. Moon is part of Mitsui & Co.
- We look for Mitsui employees based all over the world who are aspiring entrepreneurs and incubate their ideas.
- We grow, build, and test these ideas, listening for human-centered insights which help us create real-world impact.
- We design new businesses and launch them all over the world.
Mitsui is a corporation based in Japan with many business units including Steel Products, Metals and Mining, Machinery and Infrastructure, Chemicals, Energy, Lifestyle (which includes food, textiles, healthcare, outsourcing), and Finance.
Who We Are Looking For
A Lead Engineer to join Moon Creative Lab, to help us build a developer team, and to help build custom software. Moon's operations are unique, and we need a new digital innovation platform (both web and mobile) to help us accomplish several jobs-to-be-done:
- Capture business ideas from Mitsui’s 44,000 employees
- Create a space for Mitsui employees to collaborate on one another’s ideas
- Manage the selection process
- Share content from Moon and it’s idea teams
- Create other features which attract Mitsui employees to regularly check the app
How You’ll Help Moon Create Impact
- At Moon, we incubate new ventures through identifying, growing and sourcing business ideas from Mitsui’s 44,000 employees around the world. We are creating a new digital innovation platform (mobile and web) where we can visually collaborate to ideate and refine ideas, help run selection of our submission process, communicate about our activities, and grow our community.
- This Lead Developer role will drive a huge impact by helping build a hub for Moon to facilitate it’s business processes as well as create community and awareness of Moon across Mitsui globally.
- They will help with shaping the product vision by helping the Product Manager understand organization goals, user needs, designing, and developing the MVP, launching it and designing product roadmap together with the Product Manager and CTO.
- You will lead the engineering effort for this product and, as an early engineering hire, set the tone for the technical culture going forward. You will help bridge product development and engineering to ensure the product works well for a uniquely global organization.
- This role will work with Product Manager and Product designer, report to Moon’s CTO and partner closely with our leadership team including the CEO and Head of Marketing/Communications.
What You’ll Do At Moon
- Use Code to Build - As one of two engineers on the team, your role will focus on writing code. As the team grows, you will have the opportunity to provide leadership, but you’ll still always be coding.
- Be Part of a Team - As the Lead Engineer for this project, you are responsible for working closely with our small team made up of the Product Manager, Product Designer, and CTO. We will work together to plan, design, and implement features in the web and mobile applications.
- Work with Leadership - You will report to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), who guides the development of the project while you manage the day-to-day software development.
- Lead Others - You will have the opportunity to lead by mentoring, guiding, and enabling others to be successful. You can help develop and maintain a culture of technical excellence by encouraging teammates to write great code and hone their craft.
- Inspire Others - You will have the opportunity to share personal knowledge, skills, and outside inspiration with your colleagues, and help influence the design of the product in new ways.
- Work Locally and Globally - Moon is based in downtown Palo Alto, a 5-minute walk to the Palo Alto CalTrain station. We have a second location in the Shibuya area of Tokyo and this role will ask you to occasionally travel to Tokyo.
The Must-Have Skills
- Software Development
- Several years of experience developing web applications in Ruby on Rails and it’s commonly used libraries
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming and relational databases, specifically PostgreSQL
- Experience building and deploying React Native applications, navigating the app stores, and adhering to Apple's HIG and Google's Material Design Standards
- Experience Building Greenfield Applications
- History of experimenting to find product-market fit
- Aversion to over-engineering early-stage applications with processes or complicated infrastructure
- Ability to help scale applications by adding processes, technical infrastructure, or tools as needed
- Communication Skills
- Exceptional written and verbal skills which demonstrate maturity, judgment, negotiation, analytical, and leadership skills
- Strong visual communication skills, proficient in diagramming, and other presentation tools
- Drive acceptance and adoption of technology agendas with empathy and active listening skills
- Technical Decision-Making
- Experience and skill outlining technical tradeoff decisions, weighing the options, and making a choice
- Understanding of the balance between scrappiness and long-term code maintainability
- Strong intuition for prioritization: which corners to cut, fires to ignore, features to postpone, and how to sequence work to optimize our limited engineering resources
- Helpful as we make “build vs. buy vs. integrate” decisions
- Technical Project Management Experience
- You’ll work closely with the Technical Project Manager to help set technical implementation schedules, track progress, and continuously improve the plan
- Proven experience with more than one software development methodology and ability to adjust processes as necessary
- Experience in a dynamic work environment with a bias for action
Nice to Haves
- Japanese language experience
- Experience living and working in Japan or Asia or working directly with Asian companies
- Ability to occasionally travel to Japan or other global locations
- Moon’s Values
- Be Human Centered
- Set our Own Course
- Stretch our Comfort Zone
- Ask the right question
- Experiment Fast
- Technical Values
How Do I Apply?
Sounds fun, right?
Apply at our job board, https://boards.greenhouse.io/moon.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Moon Creative Lab is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.