📍London or Remote (UK) | 💰 This is a unique role, we’re open to discussions around base salary + stock options dependent on experience + Benefits
At Monzo, our mission is to make money work for everyone: to make our customers effortlessly financially savvy with smart features, unexpectedly friendly service, and a relentless focus on what people genuinely want and need from a bank. Our net promoter score is more than 2x that of other banks, and we are the fastest-growing bank in the UK. Monzo better resembles a fast-paced tech startup than a traditional bank – we move fast, ship new things every day, and develop products iteratively. But we are also very serious about the safety of our customers’ money and their trust in us, and we believe this starts with our internal culture. We default to transparency both internally and externally, and we involve our community in everything we do. We prize a diverse team as a strength: everyone is welcome at Monzo and we're working hard to empower them to do the best work of their lives.
At Monzo the effective application of technology is a significant competitive advantage. We strongly believe in autonomous multi-disciplinary teams, organising smart people from different backgrounds around problems and empowering our business areas with technical capabilities to achieve outcomes for our customers that others can't.
Engineering at Monzo
This is a brand new role to lead a newly founded Collective (product pillar/vertical) and help us build one of the best, most innovative banks in the world.
As an Engineering Director you’ll lead a multi-disciplinary team to set big, ambitious goals for an entire product area, and have the freedom to decide how to meet them. You’ll operate with autonomy and have a massive impact on our customers’ lives and Monzo’s success.
The Collective directly supports making money work for everyone - our objective is to fulfil this mission for new and potential customers. We aim to position Monzo as the product that people go to when they want to manage their financial life.
As the Engineering Director, you will build high-performing teams that expand Monzo’s customer base and unlock the power of growth. This pillar works across all Monzo products including our personal and business banking, lending, and wealth building products to increase engagement at every stage of the user journey. You'll lead the areas that encourage new user sign ups, onboarding, and post sign up engagement to help customers discover everything that Monzo can do for them.
What you’ll work on
- Lead a cross-functional team of 40+ Engineers with SEMs and EMs as direct reports.
- Create and execute on customer acquisition strategies to expand our customer base.
- Collaborate with product, design, data, user research and marketing to identify and validate new opportunities to help customers engage with our financial products.
- Create delightful experiences that solve user needs and pain points. You should aim to be a champion of our customers.
- Use an experimentation focused and data driven approach that focuses on quick iteration.
- Lead planning processes and roadmap prioritisation ensuring alignment within the team and with wider business goals and objectives.
You should apply if
- You have experience leading Engineering orgs between 30-50 individuals (including experience managing a number of Engineering Managers and Senior Engineering Managers).
- You’ve got over a five year track record of shipping successful, customer-centric digital products in a consumer tech company. Experience in a B2C product environment is ideal.
- You have the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively to a wide range of audiences, and in a structured way.
- You can systematically break down and then solve complex problems (for customers and the business).
- You’re comfortable using data to ground your thinking in analysis, can identify key metrics and their drivers and evaluate the success of your work.
- You make good decisions in complex situations where there’s often no “right answer”.
- You can work effectively with a diverse range of people and working styles to get stuff done, and are able to thoughtfully and constructively challenge and influence the people you work with
- You hone in on the highest leverage thing to work on, both for the product and your own time
- You’re able to quickly build trust and enable your team’s to be high performing.
The interview process
Our interview process involves 3 main stages:
- Recruiter Call (30 mins) You'll meet our Engineering Leadership Recruiter to discuss your experience and learn more about Monzo. They'll be your partner and guide throughout the interview process.
- Initial Call (1 hour) You'll meet with one of our senior engineering leaders. They'll ask you about your previous experience, in particular people leadership, product delivery and technical leadership. They’ll ask example based questions (‘Tell me about a time when…’)
- Loop Stage - This is one stage with 4 interviews (totalling 4 hours) split between a collaboration with one of our engineers on a technical exercise, as well as execution and leadership interviews.
At all stages we’ll create space for you to ask as many questions as you have, you’re interviewing us as well!
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also use that email to let us know if there's anything we can do to make your application process easier for you, because of disability, neurodiversity or any other personal reason.
What’s in it for you
💰Base salary depending on experience + equity + stock options & benefits
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2022 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2023 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.