📍London or Remote UK | Benefits | Blog
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.About our Legal Team:
We’re looking for a Senior Legal Counsel - Debt Capital Markets and Treasury at Monzo.
This role will have day-to-day responsibility for coordinating legal matters associated with Monzo’s corporate activities in the UK, with particular focus on treasury and debt capital markets transactions. This role will form part of the Legal team in the Legal & Board Governance Collective at Monzo and will report directly to Monzo’s Director of Corporate, Legal.
In this role, you will be at the heart of the action significantly contributing to Monzo’s expanding corporate activities. You’ll be working with various multi-disciplinary teams and external stakeholders on a wide range of exciting corporate transactions, requiring strong technical awareness of the applicable regulatory framework, as well as the ability to find solutions, build consensus, and drive strategic projects in a dynamic and rapidly growing environment.
What you’ll be working on:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating legal documentation for treasury, debt capital markets and other corporate related activities and helping drive relevant projects from the initial phase through to completion.
- Strategically advising and working collaboratively with relevant teams (including members of our Treasury, Tax, Finance, Risk, Compliance, Reward, and Co-Sec teams) and the wider Executive Team at Monzo on a variety of corporate related matters, with particular focus on treasury and debt capital markets activities.
- Developing and implementing internal processes and procedures to increase the efficiency and scalability of corporate legal advice across the Monzo Group and to continuously operate with the highest impact.
- Delivering training, sharing insights from your work, and helping educate internal business teams on capital markets, treasury and other corporate matters.
- Liaising with our legal, tax and financial advisors, auditors, regulators, partners, and other stakeholders in connection with capital markets, treasury and other corporate related activities.
- Manage relationships with our external legal panel and work with Monzo’s Chief of Staff of the Legal & Board Governance Collective to ensure we are optimising our legal spend on corporate matters and extracting best value.
You should apply if:
- You are a qualified lawyer with a minimum of around 5 years combined relevant experience working at a recognised law firm and/or in-house at a bank or other financial institution.
- You have a solid grounding in, and strong technical knowledge of, debt capital markets and treasury activities coming from a highly regulated financial industry (including in relation to high-yield offerings, equity-linked products, structured debt securities, fixed income, secured and unsecured funding programs, intra group funding and liquidity programs, derivatives and hedging strategies), as well as broad knowledge of general corporate related matters.
- You have excellent project management skills and a great ability to effectively prioritise and advance multiple transactions happening simultaneously with a strong sense of ownership and a high degree of integrity and accountability, often on tight deadlines.
- You are a team player and natural collaborator who is passionate about effecting change whilst at the same time being goals-focussed and impact-driven.
- You are a strategic thinker, a strong communicator and a keen problem solver who knows how to assess risks and recommend solutions that balance business and risk perspectives.
- You are incredibly driven, willing to jump in and handle a wide range of legal issues that may arise even outside your core areas of expertise in an enthusiastic, proactive, and resourceful manner, and can sensibly assess when best to engage external counsel in a cost-effective way.
- You are comfortable operating at all levels of the organisation up to the Executive Committee and Board and liaising with a variety of external stakeholders.
- You welcome diverse perspectives, think rigorously and critically and aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions.
- You’ve an open and curious mind, you are passionate about the intersection of banking and technology, and what we are doing here at Monzo excites you!
The Interview Process:
Our interview process involves 4 main stages:
- Recruiter call
- Initial call with a member of the Legal team
- First stage role specific and values interview
- Coffee chat
Our average process takes around 2-3 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s in it for you:
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2022 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, or veteran, neurodiversity or disability status.