We’re looking for a Senior Legal Counsel - Corporate to join our team at Monzo and help us build one of the best, most innovative banks in the world.
This role will have day-to-day responsibility for legal matters associated with Monzo’s corporate activities in the UK. This role reports directly to Monzo’s Director of Corporate, Legal and is part of the Legal team in the Legal & Board Governance Collective at Monzo under the leadership of Monzo Group General Counsel and Company Secretary.
In this role, you will be at the heart of the action significantly contributing to Monzo’s expanding corporate activities. You will play a key role in the next stage of Monzo’s growth and development. The role comes with a broad scope of responsibilities and will help drive high-profile corporate transactions. You’ll be at the core of multi-disciplinary teams (including members of our Finance, Tax, Risk, Regulatory, Reward, and Co-Sec teams) that operate with autonomy, drive, and initiative. You’ll be working collaboratively with various internal and external stakeholders on a wide range of corporate legal matters, requiring strong technical awareness of the applicable corporate, governance, financial and capital regulatory landscape, as well as the ability to find solutions, build consensus, and drive strategic projects in a dynamic and rapidly growing environment. Our culture thrives on transparency and the power of diversity and inclusion to create a truly collaborative and exciting work environment.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating with external counterparties relevant corporate documents in connection with a variety of corporate transactions, including equity and debt financing, secondary sales, investments, equity incentive programs, corporate structuring, and intra-group agreements.
- Being a trusted adviser and partner to the business and the wider Executive team by providing proactive and strategic advice on a variety of corporate matters and related financial and capital regulatory matters.
- Working closely with various teams across Monzo (including our Finance, Risk, Compliance, Regulatory and Co-Sec teams) to advise on and assess relevant corporate legal and regulatory issues and ensure compliance with our regulatory, corporate and governance requirements for a growing footprint of domestic and international activities.
- Supporting the finance team in managing investor relations and liaising with a broad spectrum of key institutional investors and retail shareholders.
- Prioritising thoughtfully across corporate activities to continuously operate with the highest leverage and impact.
- Building and implementing internal corporate frameworks, processes, and procedures, to increase the efficiency and scalability of corporate legal advice across the Monzo Group.
- Delivering training, sharing insights from your work, and helping educate internal business teams on corporate matters.
- Liaising with our legal, tax and financial advisors, auditors, regulators, partners, and other stakeholders in connection with corporate activities.
- Manage relationships with our external legal panel and work with Monzo’s Chief of Staff to the General Counsel to ensure we are optimising our legal spend on corporate matters and extracting best value.
You should apply if:
- You have significant post-qualification experience in the corporate field, including in relation to private and public equity and debt fundraising, M&As, IPOs, liquidity transactions, equity incentive programs, corporate structuring, and intra-group agreements. You have an in-depth knowledge of corporate, corporate governance, financial reporting and capital regulatory requirements for private and public companies and regulated financial institutions.
- You have outstanding technical skills and strong knowledge of corporate transactions having spent time in private practice and ideally time in house at a bank and/or financial technology company managing corporate matters.
- You have excellent project management skills and a great ability to effectively prioritise and advance multiple transactions happening simultaneously with a strong sense of ownership and a high degree of integrity and accountability, often on tight deadlines.
- You are a team player and natural collaborator who is passionate about effecting change whilst at the same time being goals-focussed and impact-driven.
- You are a strategic thinker, a strong communicator and a keen problem solver who knows how to assess risks and recommend solutions that balance business and risk perspectives.
- You are incredibly driven, willing to jump in and handle a wide range of legal issues that may arise even outside your core areas of expertise in an enthusiastic, proactive, and resourceful manner, and can sensibly assess when best to engage external counsel in a cost-effective way.
- You are comfortable operating at all levels of the organisation up to the Executive Committee and Board and liaising with a variety of external stakeholders.
- You welcome diverse perspectives, think rigorously and critically and aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions.
- You’ve an open and curious mind, you are passionate about the intersection of banking and technology, and what we are doing here at Monzo excites you!
We can help you relocate to London.
This role will be based out of our London office with an office/ remote based hybrid approach.
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
The application process consists of a 30mins phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by 2-3 on-site interviews at our office in London or remotely via hangouts. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.