We’re searching for a passionate and experienced Engineering Manager to lead multiple squads in Customer Operations.
In Operations we have a mission to deliver effortless experience to our customers so they get the response and support they need. Where this cannot be resolved by customers themselves through our app, the wonderful Customer Operations agents (COps) at Monzo are there to help.
We have built our own in-house system (BizOps) to process operational work within Monzo. Your squads will be working with BizOps and other tools to make it easy and efficient for our COps to serve our customers. Some of the problems we will be solving are:
- Reduce costs by removing unnecessary steps from task processing through self-serve flows.
- Ensure the right tasks get to the right COps at the right time.
- Enable repeatable, empirical experimentation to allow further COp process enhancements.
- Optimise forecasting, scheduling and real time servicing for COps.
The Engineering Manager will partner closely with the Product Manager and Customer Operation partners to provide the best experience to our customers and COps.
You’ll spend your time
- Taking accountability for delivery across your squad(s), collaborating with the Technical Lead and Product Manager.
- Actively fostering a high bar for engineering excellence within your teams.
- You’ll lead a group of around 8-12 engineers and support, coach and develop them through their career with regular 1:1s and continuous feedback.
- Partner with senior engineers in your area to drive technical initiatives that raise the bar for our engineering practices.
- Lead on communication with stakeholders from other teams, creating focus space for engineers to do their best work.
- Collaborate with the wider engineering organisation to contribute to company-wide best managerial and technical practices and standards.
What we’re looking for
While this is not a role which requires hands-on-coding, we are looking for an experienced manager who has a strong technical and delivery background and has worked as a software engineer in previous roles.
We recognise that engineering managers lead in different ways, we’re looking for someone who:
- Is comfortable operating with ambiguous problem areas with a high degree of autonomy.
- It’s a bonus if you have experience working in an experimentation led environment.
- Has delivery experience and is able to guide the squads in achieving their outcomes.
- Focuses on outcomes over processes, who optimises for the highest impact and leverage.
- Is able to input, understand and challenge engineering decisions - but to empower the team to make those decisions themselves
- Has an understanding of what good looks like for a high-performing team of engineers and ability to chart a course to get there
- Is able to to coach people to achieve their goals
- Has a natural ability to inspire and motivate a team
We consider your application across all open EM roles at Monzo independent of which role you've applied for, so if you've recently applied to a similar role at Monzo and have been unsuccessful, please wait 6 months before applying again.
Our compensation is based on a combination of salary and equity, the base salary range for this role is between £90,000 and £140,000 depending on experience.
Our interview process is:
- A 30 min intro with a member of our recruitment team.
- A 1 hour call with someone from our senior engineering leadership team. We’ll ask you questions about your current and previous roles, as well as what a high performing team looks like for you, and how you’ve helped create them in the past.
- A 3 stage final-round interview, split between a collaboration with one of our engineers on a technical exercise, as well as management and leadership interviews.
- We may follow up with a final stage interview, to discuss any feedback before making a final decision.
At all stages we’ll create space for you to ask as many questions as you have, you’re interviewing us as well!
We support a flexible working environment, and support managers who wish to be based from our London office, or work remotely from the UK.
We're an equal opportunity employer and prize diversity as a strength. Everyone is welcome at Monzo. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics.
What is engineering management like at Monzo?
Monzo is a product, engineering and design led business, with a global ambition.
We’re building a bank for and with our users. A product that’s fair, transparent and a pleasure to use. We see ourselves as something more than a typical current account: we’re setting out to solve all the problems that exist around your financial life in a coherent, meaningful and delightful way.
You’ll be working on a product that is a part of day to day life for more than five million people already, and your work here will shape the way that people interact with their finances.
Engineers and Engineering Managers at Monzo are part of cross-functional, autonomous teams and groups. Our teams are mission driven, and typically include Product Managers, backend, web and mobile engineers as well as data scientists, designers and subject matter experts relevant to that mission. Teams are organised into groups, and then collectives - we aim to keep our line management structure as shallow as possible, and for teams to directly own decision making relevant to their work.
Engineering Managers are accountable for the technical and delivery outcomes for their area - that means supporting and developing best in class engineering talent, as well as creating an inclusive team environment for people to do their best work. You’ll be responsible for structuring, organising, supporting and challenging your team to deliver on their mission.
You can read more on the expectations of Engineering Managers on our Progression Framework.