We’re searching for a passionate, experienced Engineering Director to lead security engineering.
Monzo is on a mission. We want to make people’s money work better for them. We’re building a financial control centre that helps customers make smart choices about their financial lives, and banking is our first of many products that bring this mission to life.
Monzo is in an incredibly unique position of being a custodian of people’s money, but also their financial data; both of which are highly valuable to fraudsters, thieves and organised crime syndicates.
The Engineering Director, Security will partner closely with the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) to define and deliver a security strategy that protects Monzo’s customers and staff across the full spectrum of systems, hardware and product surfaces at the bank.
This is a rare opportunity to lead an organisation in one of the UK’s most innovative financial institutions that will give you the opportunity to work across a wide-spectrum of problems and surfaces to keep customers safe and Monzo secure.
What you’ll do
- You’ll lead a group of around 20-30 engineers and engineering managers. You’re a recognised expert in one or more security domains and have leadership skills to lead, nurture and grow an engineering security organisation to deliver on strategic and business objectives.
- You identify fundamental security problems at Monzo and drive major security improvements. The role encompasses security of our platform infrastructure used by every engineer, the security of our physical compute and storage infrastructure that enables connectivity into the international monetary systems as well as identity management, threat detection, all the way to our customer security within the Monzo product itself.
- Our Security practises need to enable engineering teams to remain productive whilst having safety and security as first-class citizens of whatever they build, so that we exceed global financial security regulations and requirements without compromising speed of execution.
- Form a close partnership with the CISO and other leaders in the Security organisation to advise, shape and deliver security for Monzo as a whole.
- Partnering with product and engineering teams to embed a healthy security culture into Monzo’s product development process.
- You’ll work closely with senior leaders from across the business and ensure your teams are executing on the right strategy for the long-term health of the business.
- Be accountable for engineering effectiveness and delivery across security
- Collaborate with other engineering managers, and other engineering leaders to contribute to company-wide best practises and standards.
- Support and develop engineers and engineering managers in their career, setting high standards for individual performance.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for an Engineering Director with a track record of leading high performing groups of security engineering teams - while this is not a role which requires hand-on-coding, we’re looking for individuals who have previous first hand experience as a senior engineer in a team.
We recognise that folks lead in different ways, we’re looking for someone who has:
- You have previously been an engineer.
- Technical experience in protecting systems, security research or security testing of platforms.
- Demonstrated expertise in recruiting and managing a team of experienced engineers on large scale projects.
- Ability to prioritise and manage across multiple, often time-sensitive initiatives.
- Exceptional organisational, communication, and leadership skills.
- Comfort operating with ambiguous problem areas with a high degree of autonomy.
- A focus on outcomes over processes, who optimises for the highest impact and leverage.
- The ability to input, understand and challenge engineering decisions - but to empower the team to make those decisions themselves.
- A high degree of empathy, and a drive to create an inclusive team environment.
- Effectively hired and structured multiple diverse engineering teams.
- Managed, developed and grown high performing engineering managers.
- Understanding of what good looks like for a high-performing team of engineers and ability to chart a course to get there..
- A natural ability to inspire and motivate a team.
Our compensation is based on a combination of salary and equity, the base salary range for this role is between £140,000 and £200,000 depending on experience.
Our interview process is:
- A 30 min call with someone from the recruitment team
- A 45 min - 1 hour call with someone from our senior engineering leadership team. We’ll ask you questions about your current and previous roles, as well as what a high performing team looks like for you, and how you’ve helped create them in the past.
- A 4 stage final-round interview, split between a collaboration with one of our engineers on a technical exercise, as well as management, leadership interviews and finally meeting the CISO.
- We may follow up with a final stage interview, to discuss any feedback before making a final decision.
At all stages we’ll create space for you to ask as many questions as you have, you’re interviewing us as well!
We support a flexible working environment, and support managers who wish to be based from our London office, or work remotely from the UK or within certain European countries. We are also able to sponsor visas.
We're an equal opportunity employer and prize diversity as a strength. Everyone is welcome at Monzo. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics.
What is engineering management like at Monzo?
Monzo is a product, engineering and design led business, with a global ambition.
We’re building a bank for and with our users. A product that’s fair, transparent and a pleasure to use. We see ourselves as something more than a typical current account: we’re setting out to solve all the problems that exist around your financial life in a coherent, meaningful and delightful way.
You’ll be working on a product that is a part of day to day life for more than five million people already, and your work here will shape the way that people interact with their finances.
Engineers and Engineering Managers at Monzo are part of cross-functional, autonomous teams and groups. Our teams are mission driven, and typically include Product Managers, backend, web and mobile engineers as well as data scientists, designers and subject matter experts relevant to that mission. Teams are organised into groups, and then collectives - we aim to keep our line management structure as shallow as possible, and for teams to directly own decision making relevant to their work.
Engineering Managers are accountable for the technical and delivery outcomes for their area - that means supporting and developing best in class engineering talent, as well as creating an inclusive team environment for people to do their best work. You’ll be responsible for structuring, organising, supporting and challenging your team to deliver on their mission.