We’re looking for a User Researcher who can help us understand our customers, their needs, and what we can better do to meet them.
At Monzo, our mission is to make money work for everyone. We’re building a bank for and with our users. A product that’s fair, transparent and a pleasure to use. As we pave the way for the future of banking, we need a deeper understanding of the problems we want to solve and how we solve them. That’s where you come in.
We care deeply about inclusive working practices and diverse teams. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from underrepresented demographics.
- Work closely with Product Managers, Product Designers, Engineers and other User Researchers to generate hypotheses and plans for high-impact research that helps us better understand our existing and potential customers and how to create a better product that solves their problems and meets their needs.
- Lead the research for your squads, suggesting the best approach and methods to use so we’re capturing the right insights that help us grow and develop our product in our mission to Make Money Work For Everyone.
- Plan and run qualitative studies, including field observations and interviews, diary studies remote and in-person concept testing and usability studies for existing and future products.
- Identify actionable insights through quantitative methods such as large scale surveys, and use basic statistical concepts to ensure findings are robust
- Evaluate and explore information architecture, using tree-tests, card-sorts and whatever other methods are appropriate
- Collaborate closely with our analytics team to make sure our qualitative insights are also enhanced by robust quantitative analysis whenever possible, and run some basic quantitive analysis yourself
- Mentor and train Product Managers and Product Designers to run their own lightweight "disposable" research, freeing you up to do the high-impact work.
- Communicate research findings to inform business decisions through the best possible means ranging from presentations, workshops, reports or whatever mechanism gets the insights into our decision-making.
You should apply if
- You’ve got lots of hands-on experience with exploratory and evaluative qualitative research methods, appreciating their limitations and when to apply them appropriately.
- You've worked in a multidisciplinary team environment before, where you've lead the research and made demonstrable impact on the direction of the product or service.
- You can run user testing with your eyes closed, regardless of the setting. You should be comfortable in a lab as well as stopping people in the street for quick feedback or setting up remote tests.
- You're happy user testing on mobile. We’re a mobile-only bank, so if you’ve got experience with both iOS and Android we’ll love you even more.
- You appreciate robust research study design, but can also consider practical constraints and business goals – you understand what 'just enough research' means.
- You’re a strong communicator and facilitator. You’re able to tell a story so your audience will want to listen to and zoom into detail when needed to help solutions come to life.
- You value collaboration and are at your best when you’re part of a team.
- You are flexible in your approach and embrace a challenge; you might need to come up with new ways of answering research questions quickly and communicating the results in a memorable, impactful way.
- You’re familiar with quantitative research and understand how user research helps shape metrics and drive teams towards success.
- Initial call with a Monzo Recruiter (30 min)
- Initial call with User Researcher (30 min)
- Task you can choose to take home or do as part of your “on-site” interview (30 mins)
- Virtual "on-site" interview with folks from User Research, Design, Data & Product teams (3 hours)
We want to give people applying for roles at Monzo the best opportunity to succeed and we design our process to do that. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
We’re currently hiring for this role across multiple levels. Don’t worry if you’re not sure which level of seniority best fits your experience. We want to find brilliant people. We’ll work with you to find the right Monzo level for you if you’re invited to interview.
Right now, lots of people at Monzo are still working remotely. When things return to normal, we'd like you to be able to be part of working in a team environment in our London office at least 1 day a week.
The salary range at this level starts from £55,000+ per annum, as well as a competitive benefits package. We're happy to discuss in more detail in your initial call with us to make sure we're aligned with the package you're seeking in your next role.
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.