We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About our Data Discipline:
We have a strong culture of data-driven decision making across the whole company. And we're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. All our data lives in one place and is super easy to use. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
We work in cross-functional squads where every data scientist is a member of a central data discipline and fully embedded into a product squad alongside Engineers, Designers, Marketers, Product Managers, Machine Learning Engineers etc.
What you’ll be working on:
You’ll work closely with the general managers, product, design and engineering directors to run your areas of the business. You’ll be responsible for the future size and direction of your data area, building a high performing team across our subdisciplines (from Data Scientists and Analytics Engineers, all the way to Machine Learning Engineers). You’ll grow and mentor the Data Discipline members of your team, including your own Data Science managers.
You’ll ensure we generate high quality insights that help shape the direction of our product. You’ll lead a culture of high quality, proactive analyses designed to not only respond to new features as they launch, but to help generate the foundations of what we do next. We’re looking for someone enthusiastic about building market leading products and seeing the data insights their team produces go on to improve the lives of millions of our customers.
You'll seek input from risk-specialist colleagues to find out which changes performed by their team have a high degree of legal and regulatory risk; puts in place risk mitigation strategies that are proportional to the degree of risk inherent in each change, allowing their teams to move fast on low-risk changes while ensuring that critical compliance work is implemented carefully and correctly.
- Be a key leader in building a discipline of exceptional data scientists working on making Monzo world class at tackling Data problems
- Help hire, develop and retain top tier talented Data Scientists
- Develop your own leadership structure of Data Science Managers
- Promote a culture of proactive, high quality data insights that can impact the direction of Monzo
- Establish yourself as a trusted partner to the product leadership teams with a reputation for getting things done
- Bring data leadership and rigour to our approach to product development
- Build a strategic understanding of the business while structuring complex projects to bring them to life
You should apply if:
What we’re doing here at Monzo excites you!
- You have multiple years of experience in data, working as a Lead Analyst or Data Scientist
- You consider yourself an empathetic leader and have experience managing multiple data scientists and data managers and you really enjoy that part of the job
- You’re as comfortable getting hands-on as well as taking a step back and thinking strategically and proactively identifying opportunities
- You have experience working together and collaborating with senior business stakeholders and product teams
- You're familiar with using a variety of Data Science tools (from business intelligence, experimentation and causal inference through to machine learning), and coding languages (Python and SQL). You know when to pick the right tool, and can help others do the same
Nice to haves
- Experience with strongly-typed languages (e.g. Go, Java, Scala...)
- Working knowledge of Python, Airflow, dbt and Looker
- Used to AGILE ways of working (Kanban, Scrum) tracked in JIRA or Trello
The Interview Process:
Our interview process involves 3 main stages We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions!
- 30 minute recruiter call
- 45 minute call with hiring manager
- 3 x 1-hour video calls with various team members
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s in it for you:
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.