Monzo’s Platform organisation owns and operates the compute, storage and security infrastructure that engineers use to deliver the product experience to our 5 million (and growing!) customer base. Our platform enables engineers to ship fast, with confidence and safety. We not only deal with customer data but also money, so ensuring systems remain available and secure is of critical importance.
A Technical Project Manager (TPM) in Platform will play a central role in planning, executing and landing strategic organisation-wide initiatives as well as end-to-end ownership of short-term tactical projects. The TPM will manage inbound demands on the Platform teams as well as partnering with engineering leaders in the org on roadmapping, requirement gathering, delivery, and reporting.
What you’ll do:
- Contribute to building a highly aligned Platform organisation to effectively deliver on customer needs and our agreed goals.
- Take responsibility for release schedules and milestones, collaborating with engineering leaders to ensure sustained delivery velocity.
- Manage project schedules, identify possible issues and clearly communicate them to stakeholders.
- Partner with cross functional teams to drive technical analysis, design, development, testing, implementation, and post implementation phases.
- Lead on communication with senior stakeholders from other technical and non-technical parts of the bank.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives and developing those into detailed project plans and then executing on them.
- Define and track key metrics and key quality and performance indicators and drive cross functional execution of program deliverables.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for a Technical Project Manager with a track record of delivering large and complex technical programmes of work. In this role you will work with engineers and engineering managers, so you need to be comfortable exploring technical tradeoffs with engineers. The centrality of the Platform organisation to the business of banking means that you will also work closely with non-technical, banking-disciplines such as Risk & Control, Compliance and Regulator Communications so you must be comfortable communicating analysis and recommendations of the Platform teams to senior leaders both technical and non-technical.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Organised complex programmes of work spanning across multiple teams.
- Experience in communicating technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both in writing and verbally.
- Comfort operating with ambiguous problem areas with a high degree of autonomy.
- A focus on outcomes over processes, who optimises for the highest impact and leverage.
- Experience delivering tech programs or products from inception to delivery.
- Knowledge of user needs, jobs to be done, gathering requirements, and defining scope.
Our interview process is:
- A 30 min intro with a member of our recruitment team.
- A 45 min - 1 hour call with someone from our senior engineering leadership team. We’ll ask you questions about your current and previous roles, as well as what a high performing team looks like for you, and how you’ve helped create them in the past.
- A 3 stage final-round interview, split between a collaboration with one of our engineers on a technical exercise, as well as management and leadership interviews.
- We may follow up with a final stage interview, to discuss any feedback before making a final decision.
At all stages we’ll create space for you to ask as many questions as you have, you’re interviewing us as well!
We support a flexible working environment, and support managers who wish to be based from our London office, or work remotely from the UK.
We're an equal opportunity employer and prize diversity as a strength. Everyone is welcome at Monzo. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics.