At Monzo we’re aiming to build the best current account in the world. We are always keen to hear from capable, creative engineers who want to help us accomplish that goal 🚀
We are currently updating Monzo’s incident tooling, which has been open sourced here: https://github.com/monzo/response. Everyone at Monzo uses this tool to track errors and incidents which are handled in a very consistent manner. We are looking for an engineer skilled in Python to make some changes to this tool over the next 6 months. This is both a slack bot as well as a web project, based on Django.
What you’ll be doing
- Add ability to tag an incident (security, privacy, data, etc.) in the Slackbot UI
- Using the incident tag (see above) and the incident criticality, build support for applying different escalation procedures
- Add search and filtering functionality to the incident UI to allow finding incidents by type, date, component failed, unclosed incident, incidents with incomplete repair items, etc
- Build two-way Jira synchronisation so that repair items raised as part of an incident are automatically sync’d to Jira, and the status of those repair items is reflected in the incident UI
- There also might be a chance to pick up some of the integration work to export incident metrics through Monzo's data warehouse (you would need experience with Golang and Kafka for this)
You should apply if:
- You have solid Python coding experience working with Django
- Experience of modifying and operating systems built on relational databases
- Be able to operate independently and get up to speed with systems quickly
- As our incident system is a production system the ideal person will have worked with a critical production system before, performing safe deployments
- You understand the value of feature flags and safe defaults
We are actively creating an equitable environment for all of our engineers to thrive
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. We provide a sponsorship framework in Engineering for women and people of colour; all of our leaders are trained on privilege awareness and we are creating partnerships with organisations dedicated to supporting underrepresented groups. You can read more in our 2020 Diversity and Inclusion report.
We encourage an open and transparent working environment
You can get involved in any aspect of the business you are interested in and, following Stripe’s example, all emails in the company are visible in an email archive. We contribute to open source software as much as possible. Our blog is a good place to learn even more about what we do!
At Monzo you will get to work with a lot of exciting new technology.
For the rest of the stack we rely heavily on the following tools and technologies:
- Go to write our application code (there’s an excellent interactive Go tutorial here)
- Cassandra for most persistent data storage
- Kafka for our asynchronous message queue
- Envoy Proxy for RPC
- Kubernetes and Docker to schedule and run our services (Oliver, our VP Architecture, gave a great talk at KubeCon on how we use these technologies)
- AWS for most of our infrastructure
- React for internal web dashboards
- We also have two physical datacenter sites with actual cables to connect to various third parties
This role is inside IR35 and the duration of the contract will be 6 months, and if you were interested there could be a permanent position for you at the end of it.
You can work from wherever you like for this role as long as it is within the UK as we will need to provide you with equipment that can be delivered quickly. You will be allowed to work on-site in the London office should it be of interest.
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
Our interview process for this role will be a 45 minute call with an Engineering Director followed by a take home exercise you can do in your own time and a pair coding interview.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.