We're excited to be looking for a Data Science Director, Financial Crime to help build the bank of the future. You'll have the opportunity to lead the Financial Crime Data Science team and play a critical role in Monzo’s mission to make money work for everyone. You'll be working in the intersection between data, engineering and our financial crime function, helping us shape the data strategy and lead the specialist team.
As part of this role you'll
- Establish yourself as a trusted member of the financial crime and product leadership teams with the capacity for getting things done
- Bring data leadership and rigour to our financial crime function and build a strategic understanding of the business while structuring complex projects to bring them to life
- Set the data strategy for financial crime data - from working with engineers on ensuring that we capture the right data to building predictive models that help us detect financial crime
- Own complex, data driven systems to combat fraud and financial crime, including customer risk assessments, transaction monitoring
- Have the opportunity to manage exceptional Data Professionals and help their career progression and development
You'll be embedded within our data discipline where our mission is to Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster. We have a strong culture of data-driven decision making across the whole company. And we're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. All our data lives in one place and is super easy to use. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses. We work in cross-functional squads where every data scientist is a member of a central data discipline and fully embedded into product squads alongside engineers, designers, marketers, product managers etc.
Our financial crime area ensures Monzo operates safely. You'll work closely with financial crime domain experts to ensure we regularly assess customer risk to make Monzo a safe platform for our users. You'll help develop the strategies to combat all forms of fraud and financial crime - stopping money muling, first and third party fraud, account takeovers...You'll manage the whole data stack - Analytics Engineers to ensure we have a high quality data warehouse, Data Analysts and Data Scientists.
You should apply if
- You’re as comfortable getting hands-on as well as taking a step back and thinking strategically and proactively identifying opportunities
- You have experience working together and collaborating with senior business stakeholders and product teams
- You're familiar with using a variety of Data Science tools (like business intelligence tools, experimentation, causal inference, machine learning) and coding languages (like Python or SQL). You know when to pick the right tool, and can help others do the same.
- You consider yourself an empathetic leader and have experience managing larger teams of data scientists and you really enjoy that part of the job
- You are passionate about reducing financial crime with data driven strategies
Even better if
- Experience from working with financial crime and regulated institutions
- Experience managing teams of more than 10 people
- We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas. Once our offices re-open, this role will be London based.
- We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
- Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
- If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
The application process consists of an initial call with someone from the team, a preparation call with a recruiter followed by a practical written exercise and 2-3 video interviews via Hangouts. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.