We're looking for a Data Science Manager to build out a new area for how we best manage customer outcomes across Monzo. In plain words this means you’ll be responsible for building data systems to automatically identify opportunities for our quality assurance and complaints teams by detecting themes or automating workflows using data science techniques. You’ll be building out the team from scratch working closely across analytics, machine learning and engineering and be a key leader in seeing your ideas through all the way from initial scoping to implementation.
We have a strong culture of data-driven decision making across the whole company. And we're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. All our data lives in one place and is super easy to use. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
We work in cross-functional squads where every data scientist is a member of a central data discipline and fully embedded into a product squad alongside engineers, designers, marketers, product managers, machine learning etc.
As part of your role, you'll:
- Be a key leader in building a discipline of exceptional data scientists working on making Monzo world class at customer outcomes at the lowest cost possible
- Establish yourself as a trusted partner to the operations and product leadership teams with the capacity for getting things done, be it either hands-on or by leading others
- Bring data leadership and rigour to our approach to product development in the operations function and build a strategic understanding of the business while structuring complex projects to bring them to life
- Have the opportunity to manage exceptional Data Scientists and help their career progression and development
- Liaise with engineers to keep making sure we collect the right data to produce relevant business insights
- Work with machine learning teams on scoping opportunities and help see them through all the way from idea to implementation
What’s special about data at Monzo?
Autonomy. We believe that people reach their full potential when you can remove all the operational obstacles out of their way and let them run with their ideas. This comes together with a strong sense of ownership for your projects. At Monzo, you will get full access to our data and analytics infrastructure. When you discover something interesting, there is nothing stopping you from exploring and implementing your coolest ideas.
Cutting-edge managed infrastructure. All our data infrastructure lives on the Google Cloud Platform, so you don't need to spend your time configuring or managing clusters, databases, etc. All of our infrastructure is designed so that we can have really high data quality, and spend most of our time using that data to support business decisions.
Automation. We aim to automate as much as we can, so that every person in the team can focus on the things that humans do best. As with all data science work, there’s some analysis and reporting, and as much as possible we encourage self-serve access to our data through Looker.
You should apply if:
- What we’re doing here at Monzo excites you!
- You have multiple years of experience in data, working as a Lead Analyst or Data Scientist
- You consider yourself an empathetic leader and have experience managing data scientists and you really enjoy that part of the job
- You’re as comfortable getting hands-on as well as taking a step back and thinking strategically and proactively identifying opportunities
- You have experience working together and collaborating with senior business stakeholders and product teams
- You're familiar with using a variety of Data Science tools (from business intelligence, experimentation and causal inference through to machine learning), and coding languages (Python and SQL). You know when to pick the right tool, and can help others do the same
Nice to haves:
- You have multiple years of experience in product or growth analytics, preferably in a fast moving tech company
- We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
- This role can be based in our London office or remotely within the UK
- We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
- Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
- If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
- The application process consists of a 30 min phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by a practical written exercise and 2-3 video interviews. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.