We're looking for an Analytics Engineer to join our brand new Data Warehouse team.
Our Data Warehouse team works in the intersection between data, engineering and our collectives - Money, Borrowing, Operations and Financial Crime and beyond. The team is responsible for building downstream data models from backend services with the desire to make our Data Warehouse a genuine competitive advantage for Monzo. We want a team capable of building an amazing Data Warehouse to support decision making, Business Intelligence, key financial reconciliation processes and best in class analytics and Data Science.
You'll be a senior individual contributor in our Data Warehouse Engineering team, working across a variety of projects to spot patterns in the way we build our Data Warehouse. You’ll help us minimise our cloud costs, drive best practices across all of our Data Discipline and scale and automate our data governance.
Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster
At the core of this mission sits our data platform. We're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. Every engineer at Monzo is responsible for collection of relevant analytics events from their microservices. We optimise for simplicity and re-usability – all our data lives in one place and is made available via our data warehouse in Google BigQuery. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
Our technology stack
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies (note we do not expect applicants to have prior experience of all them):
- Google Cloud Platform for all of our analytics infrastructure
- dbt and BigQuery SQL for our data modelling and warehousing
- Python for data science
- Go to write our application code
- AWS for most of our backend infrastructure
Working in a multi-disciplinary data / engineering squad, you will:
- Support the building of robust data models downstream of backend services (mostly in BigQuery) that support internal reporting, machine learning as well as financial and regulatory use cases.
- Focus on optimisation of our Data Warehouse, spotting opportunities to reduce complexity and cost.
- Help define and manage best practices for our Data Warehouse. This may include payload design of source data, logical data modelling, implementation, metadata and testing standards.
- Set standards and ways of working with data across Monzo, working collaboratively with others to make it happen.
- Take established best practices and standards defined by the team, applying them within other areas of the business.
- Investigate and effectively work with colleagues from other disciplines to monitor and improve data quality within the warehouse.
- Contribute to prioritisation of data governance issues.
You should apply if
- You have experience and a passion for Data Modelling, ETL projects and Big Data as a developer or analyst.
- SQL and data modelling are second nature to you
- You are an comfortable with general Data Warehousing concepts
- You strive for improvement in your work and that of others, proactively identifying issues and opportunities
- You have experience building robust and reliable data sets requiring a high level of control
Nice to haves
- Any experience working within a finance function or knowledge of accounting.
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment (e.g. finance, gaming, food, health care).
- Knowledge of regulatory reporting and treasury operations in retail banking
- Exposure to Python, Go or similar languages.
- Experience working with orchestration frameworks such as Airflow/Luigi
- Have previously used dbt, dataform or similar tooling.
- Used to AGILE ways of working (Kanban, Scrum)
This role will be remote until we open our London office again.
We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
The application process consists of a 30-min phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by a practical written exercise and 2-3 on-site interviews remotely via hangouts. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.