We’re building the best bank account in the world. We believe there should be an alternative to the banking of the past: we're focused on helping our customers better manage their finances, rather than selling them products or charging them unfair fees.
Our mission started in the UK where we now have more than 5 million customers, and are one of the top startups to work for in Europe. We’re just getting started in the US, but our mission is the same – we think that banking should be better.
Internally, we encourage an open, collaborative, inclusive working environment. We contribute to open source software, and we continually engage with our wonderful community. We’re hiring talented, creative problem-solvers to help us build the bank of the future. Join us!
We’re looking for an outstanding product-focussed engineering lead for the US team. You will provide technical leadership while also taking a hands-on role to shape and design our product offering in the US market.
You will work closely with the Product team and the CEO to help build and scale our digital banking solution, using our existing Beta product as our starting point. You’ll have a central role in leading product sprints, organizing and project-managing the work of product squads and iterating on the product roadmap for the USA.
You’ll also play a key role in helping us build and hire a world-class engineering team based in San Francisco. You’ll be involved in hiring and onboarding new engineers, and will take a leadership and management role within the team.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience with building engaging consumer products, although your experience doesn’t have to have been in banking or FinTech. You have a “co-founder” mentality, and are looking for a role that gives you the opportunity to take on a wide range of responsibilities, with a high degree of autonomy. You’ll also have the backing of Monzo’s existing engineering team, tooling and experience from the UK, where we are widely regarded as having built one of the best engineering teams in Europe, so you won’t feel unsupported.
You’ll report to the US CEO, with a dotted line to the Monzo global CTO.
- Work with the CEO and the Product Managers you will lead the day to day activities of the engineers in the US product squads
- Partner closely with the product manager to prioritize decisions around engineering staffing and the product roadmap
- Design and lead all technical aspects of our product – and review code written by other members of the team
- Manage and support the engineers in your team to help them deliver to the best of their ability
- Help us hire and grow the US engineering team: you’ll be a key player in interviews and hiring decisions, and lead onboarding and training for new engineers
- A track record of shipping products, getting stuff done, and working in high growth product focussed organizations.
- 8+ years of total engineering experience with deep experience of building engaging consumer products (specifically mobile applications).
- A strong engineer with significant individual contributor experience. You should expect to write some code, at least for the first year in the role.
- Experience growing and leading smaller teams (anywhere from 5-25 people), and shipping successful products in ambiguous, growth environments
- A strong product and customer mentality. You care deeply about building products with “magical” experiences.
- Great experience at building strong, effective relationships with people from different disciplines
- We’re building a team in the San Francisco Bay Area, and we want to hire someone based in the area (and we would support you with moving costs if you don’t currently live in SF).
- Once it’s safe we are looking forward to being together in person again. Later this year, post-Covid, we plan to have a physical work space in downtown SF that will be a space for collaboration, meetings, teamwork and socializing (and optionally for quiet work if you want to get out of the house!)
- However, as a team we are remote native, and expect that some portion of the team will be remote, and we’ll support remote / home working for some of the day/week/month.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.