Like any other regulated bank, we need to make sure we are managing our risks and controls, and are fully compliant with our regulation. At Monzo we want to do so while continuing with our agile “test and learn” approach to launching products. You’ll have a supporting role to help our Risk and Control Discipline make sure we successfully roll out and embed our risk management framework across the 1st line.
You will be supporting all things Technology Risk & Controls within the 1st line at Monzo.
We are looking for someone who has the desire & passion to work on risk & control within our Platform Collective, which supports Monzo’s technology infrastructure, cyber security and operational resilience. In particular, experience in Technology or Cyber Risk & Control Assessments (including control testing), Audit Management, Regulatory Compliance and Issue & Action management is preferred.
Teams across the first line in Monzo will turn to you for guidance on how to ensure we are not only compliant with regulations, but also fostering a culture of rigorous thinking and careful controls that distinguish us in both banking and technology. You will be leading the way ensuring key risk indicators are well-defined and understood in a timely manner, incidents are managed, MI and reporting packs are created, and risk & control assessments are completed.
Monzo is an exciting combination of a bank and tech start-up, started from scratch in February 2015 with the aim of making money work for everyone. We’re focused on solving our customers' problems, making their financial lives simpler, and giving them complete control from their smartphones.
As a Technology Risk & Control Analyst for the Platform Collective, you will use your passion for risk and control to push forward an environment where teams are continuously able to support Monzonauts with the right controls and procedures in place.
You’ll spend your time:
- Using your technology risk management knowledge to support teams in developing new processes, controls and features by embedding good regulatory and risk practices;
- Ensuring awareness of all of the governance related initiatives (issues, incidents & actions) and regulatory or audit deadlines to make sure we don’t miss anything;
- Leading risk assessments (RCSA) in the 1st line and driving actions to address the root causes that persistently lead to operational risk losses by challenging both historical and proposed practices;
- Leading and performing technology controls testing, remediation and implementation;
- Escalating, managing and reporting control issues with transparency;
- Ensuring we comply with our policies and help define them where necessary;
- Acting as a key stakeholder managing & fostering positive relationships across the three lines of defence on any deficiencies or control gaps across Monzo as needed;
- Innovating and finding new ways to build effective governance and risk management processes;
You should apply if:
- You have worked in UK banking or a fintech, with experience in technology/cyber risk from either 1LOD or 3LOD;
- You have a good understanding of industry risk standards and practices;
- You have experience in technology and/or cyber risk management;
- You have experience managing multiple deadlines through to completion and have excellent attention to detail;
- Are excited about helping Monzo scale in a compliant, thoughtful and controlled way;
- You’re resilient and comfortable working in a fast paced environment where the day to day job is constantly evolving and changing;
- You are early in your Risk & Controls career and are eager to grow;
- You are hands-on and great at execution;
- You’re curious and collaborative - you’re great at asking incisive questions to pick things up and act on them quickly;
- You are able to meet people where they are at and become a bridge between internal teams and represent Monzo before auditors, regulators and our board;
Above all, we are looking for people that are excited by what we are doing at Monzo.
This role can be based in our London office, Cardiff office OR distributed/remote within the UK
Interview process: Short Recruiter Call - Initial Call with Hiring Manager - 2 x 45 minute Interviews/1 block of 90 Minutes) - Possible final 30 minute interview.
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.