We’re looking for a Security Engineer to join our newly-formed Security Operations squad, to build tools to help Monzonauts work securely and enable us to quickly detect and remediate threats.
You’ll help us with the following questions and challenges:
- Enable staff to work securely and productively by creating innovative, industry leading controls;
- Build tools to detect security issues and threats early in order to keep our customers and staff safe.
Here are some of the projects the team have worked on recently:
- Detecting and stopping phishing attacks
- Detecting and blocking suspicious applications running on our fleet
- Automated vulnerability scanning and patch management
You’ll be responsible for:
- Thinking like an attacker to develop our in-house detection capabilities.
- Building innovative new systems to enable staff to work securely from anywhere.
- Preventing, and where necessary responding to and investigating the root cause of incidents that could impact the security of our customers or staff.
- Working closely with our other Security squads on a daily basis, such as Security Infrastructure, Security Platform and Information Security.
Monzo’s security team has a wide range of responsibilities. As a bank, we are solving diverse, novel problems to ensure that our customers and their data are secure.
The main guiding principle of security at Monzo is that security at the expense of user experience is a last resort. We aim to move mountains in the background so that we can build world-class features without compromising on security.
As a Security Engineer you’d be able to work directly with lots of teams across the company, and we run regular knowledge-sharing sessions so you’ll learn heaps about everything; from how banks work to effective communication and the technologies we use.
You should apply if
- You have experience in software engineering (we use Go, but we're open to all backgrounds) and you're excited about solving real business problems through building clean, scalable software from the ground up.
- You’re passionate about security and understand best practices.
- You’re constantly looking for flaws in our systems and can reason about how best to address them.
- You have experience and are passionate about building world-class detection capabilities or staff security controls from the ground up.
- You’re excited about identifying, investigating and addressing gaps in our detection tooling, continually improving our capabilities.
- You have experience investigating and responding to security incidents.
Salary ranges between £59,000 - £116,000 plus stock options and other benefits.
We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working (as long as you can spend around 20% of your time in London).
We have payroll set up in four countries: the UK, Ireland, and France. Right now, we can only hire people who work from those countries and we’ll keep this updated with new ones as we expand and are able to hire from more places 🌎
We're usually always hiring for Backend Engineers, so there's no closing date for this job.
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
Our interview process is normally a phone interview, a coding task and call to discuss it, and 2-3 hours of onsite interviews that can be conducted via hangouts as well. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions. We might design a system together on a whiteboard, the same way we often work together, but we won’t make you write code on one.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
What is Monzo about?
We’re a bank on a mission to make money work for everyone. By focusing on solving real problems rather than selling financial products, treating people fairly and being totally transparent, we believe we can make banking better.
Monzo started in 2015 with big plans and a little office in Shoreditch, London. Now we’re a fully-licensed bank with millions of customers in the UK, and well over a thousand employees around the world.