We're looking for a Data Engineer SQL to join our central critical datasets team to help us safely scale our data assets. For the right person there's opportunity to build beyond traditional data modelling and architecture and help support across process automation and analytical tooling.
You'll be working in the intersection between data, engineering and our finance/ops function. You will be responsible for building downstream data models from backend services, identifying and driving process efficiency and embedding reconciliations and tests to ensure timeliness and completeness of our financial data.
Data at Monzo
Our Data team's mission is to
Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster
At the core of this mission sits our data platform. We're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. Every engineer at Monzo is responsible for collection of relevant analytics events from their microservices. We optimise for simplicity and re-usability – all our data lives in one place and is made available via our data warehouse in Google BigQuery. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
Our technology stack
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies (note we do not expect applicants to have prior experience of all them):
- Google Cloud Platform for all of our analytics infrastructure
- dbt and BigQuery SQL for our data modelling and warehousing
- Python for data science
- Go to write our application code
- AWS for most of our backend infrastructure
Working in a multi-disciplinary data / engineering squad, you will:
- build robust data models, reports and visualisations downstream of backend services (mostly in BigQuery SQL) that support internal management information as well as financial / regulatory reporting
- work closely with finance analysts, data analysts and engineers to build and agree data contracts between our services and data warehouses
- investigate and effectively work with colleagues from other disciplines to address and improve data quality
- integrate new data sources into our data warehouse
- design, build and launch new data pipelines in production
- contribute to data governance over the datasets which finance relies on
You should apply if
- you have experience and a passion for data warehousing, big data, ETL as a designer or architect
- you have strong SQL skills and are familiar with general data warehousing concepts
- experience of analytics, data science and BI approaches and technologies
- a desire to scale access to data modelling
- you have experience building robust and reliable data sets requiring a high level of control
- you strive for improvement, proactively identifying issues and opportunities and getting them prioritised
- you’re keen to learn more about new technologies and their application in retail banking
Nice to haves
- experience working within the finance function
- knowledge of accounting / ERP systems and principles (e.g. NetSuite, Oracle EBS, SAP)
- knowledge of regulatory reporting and treasury operations in retail banking
- experience with strongly-typed languages (e.g. Go, Java, Scala...)
- working knowledge of Python, Airflow and dbt
- This role will be remote until we open our London office again.
- We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
- We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
- Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
- If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
The application process consists of a 30-min phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by a practical written exercise and 2-3 on-site interviews remotely via hangouts. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.