We're looking for a Data Manager to lead our brand new Data Warehouse Engineering team.
Our Data Warehouse team works in the intersection between data, engineering and our collectives - Money, Borrowing, Operations and Financial Crime and beyond. The team is responsible for building downstream data models from backend services with the desire to make our Data Warehouse a genuine competitive advantage for Monzo. We want a team capable of building an amazing Data Warehouse to support decision making, Business Intelligence, key financial reconciliation processes and best in class analytics and Data Science.
You'll be equally comfortable leading a team and executing hands on. You’ll manage our team of Data Warehouse engineers (including junior, senior and lead individual contributor roles), owning career development, hiring, team prioritisation and ensuring effective delivery of projects. You’ll be our first management hire for this area, with scope to shape the size, direction and ways of working for the entire team as well as setting best practices with your own execution of key projects.
Data At Monzo
Our Data team's mission is to Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster
At the core of this mission sits our data platform. We're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. Every engineer at Monzo is responsible for collection of relevant analytics events from their microservices. We optimise for simplicity and re-usability – all our data lives in one place and is made available via our data warehouse in Google BigQuery. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
Our Technology Stack
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies (note we do not expect applicants to have prior experience of all them):
- Google Cloud Platform for all of our analytics infrastructure
- dbt and BigQuery SQL for our data modelling and warehousing
- Python for data science
- Go to write our application code
- AWS for most of our backend infrastructure
- Own prioritisation of Data Warehousing initiatives and projects, working closely with Data leads for each of our Monzo collectives
- Deliver hands on data modeling for key projects
- Help shape best practice for your direct reports
- Lead hiring and headcount management for our central Data Warehouse team
- Working closely with our Lead Data Warehouse Engineer to deliver a scalable, consistent approach to governance and best practices
- Line manager our Data Warehouse engineers
- Drive effective project management of central Data Warehouse projects, ensuring they’re well scoped and delivered to deadlines
- Participate in wider Data leadership, to help shape the future direction of the entire data discipline.
You Should Apply If
- You have experience and a passion for leading data warehousing, big data and ETL projects as a designer or architect
- You know what it takes to hire great Data Warehouse engineers
- You’re equally comfortable working hands on and leading a team
- You have line management and project management experience
- You are an expert with general data warehousing concepts
- You’ve worked on a wide range of Data Warehouse problems - supporting Machine Learning, regulatory reporting, Business Intelligence and financial reporting projects
- You strive for improvement in your work and that of others, proactively identifying issues and opportunities
Nice To Haves
- Experience working within a finance function
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment
- Knowledge of accounting / ERP systems and principles (e.g. NetSuite, Oracle EBS, SAP)
- Knowledge of regulatory reporting and treasury operations in retail banking
- Experience with strongly-typed languages (e.g. Go, Java, Scala...)
- Working knowledge of Python, Airflow and dbt
- Used to AGILE ways of working (Kanban, Scrum) tracked in JIRA or Trello
- We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
- Once we reopen our office, this role will be London based.
- We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
- Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
- If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
- The application process consists of a 30 mins phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by a technical take home task and 2-3 on-site interviews at our office in London or remotely via hangouts. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.