We're looking for a highly proactive, enthusiastic and commercially-minded Senior Internal Controls Manager to lead, develop and maintain our internal finance controls framework, and to help us build a world-class finance function.
Monzo is an exciting combination of a bank and tech start-up, started from scratch in February 2015 to build a bank that makes money work for everyone. We’re focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products, making your financial life simpler, and giving you complete control from your smartphone.
Combining the learning of some of the fastest growing tech companies in the world, with your own unique approach you will help build an elite world class Finance team that fosters our open, collaborative, and inclusive working environment which embraces change and loves to continuously learn. You will enable Monzo to scale into a world-class, diverse and passionate group of people capable of effecting change across the globe.
- Develop and maintain a robust financial control framework across Monzo.
- Providing value to the Group by setting the risk and controls strategic agenda for the finance function.
- Support the embedding of a risk and internal controls framework across the finance function
- Lead and manage strategic projects (e.g. transition to a controls based audit) within Finance that help build and drive financial capabilities across the Bank.
- Coordinate the Group internal controls testing including liaising with external auditors and contributing to reporting to the Group Audit Committee and Board.
- Responsible for coordinating appropriate reporting to management on the effectiveness of the first line processes and control operation.
- Providing advice to develop the first line control environment, risk management awareness and driving a strong controls culture.
- Review and report on the governance framework including the robustness of regulatory reporting and the suite of regulatory documents to the Group Audit Committee and Board.
- Perform deep dives and reviews to evaluate and improve Monzo’s control environment.
- Work with engineers to automate or enhance recurring processes, as well as provide advice on control automation efforts across Monzo.
- Work closely with our first and second lines of defence to enhance Monzo’s risk, controls and governance frameworks.
- Be responsible for making sure our financial reporting procedures and controls are up to date and scalable.
- Provide guidance, support and direction to the business on effectively managing risk and demonstrating that the appropriate control environment is in place.
- Lead and manage a team of internal control professionals (2 currently but likely to expand)
You should apply if:
- You’re a qualified accountant with post-qualified experience working in financial services
- You have strong internal controls/internal audit/SOX 404 technical background (knowledge of Netsuite a bonus!).
- You have a great eye for detail.
- You have demonstrable experience dealing with senior stakeholders to deliver change.
- You’re fascinated by the banking and regulatory landscape and have a good understanding of key financial controls.
- You’re a self-starter and enjoy tackling what needs doing.
- You’re a strong communicator who is able to translate complex technical information into something that is easy for all audiences to understand.
- You thrive in a dynamic and constantly evolving environment.
- What we’re doing at Monzo excites you!
The application process consists of a short phone interview, followed by a video interview with the hiring manager, and a couple of final video interviews.
We offer a competitive salary plus other benefits.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us at Monzo – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent in the world, and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
If you prefer to work part-time, from home or as a job-share, we’ll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life harmony.