We're looking for a curious, adaptable Data Scientist to help always be one step ahead of financial crime trends to protect our customers money and to help us to run efficient operations.
At Monzo, we're building a bank that is fair, transparent and a delight to use. We’re growing extremely fast and have over 3.5 million customers in the UK, with over 250,000 new people joining every month. We’ve built a product that people love and more than 80% of our growth comes from word of mouth and referrals.
Our data team's mission is to
Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster
We have a strong culture of data-driven decision making across the whole company. And we're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. All our data lives in one place and is super easy to use. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
We work in cross-functional squads where every data scientist is a member of a central data discipline and fully embedded into product squads alongside engineers, designers, marketers, product managers etc.
You’ll join our Data and Financial Crime teams to help us to measure, identify and prevent financial crime.
You’ll help us with the following questions and challenges:
- As financial crime is ever evolving in its nature, how can we spot new typologies as soon as possible and prevent them from happening going forward?
- How can we optimise our current financial crime rules to minimise customer impact and reduce the operational burden on the team? And which new financial crime rules should we implement?
- How can we measure financial crime rates and alert the right people if we see a spike?
- How can we empower our operational colleagues by helping them use data in their day to day financial crime decisions?
- Where can we find operational time savings in our manual workflows, using data to tackle the biggest wins first?
You will be responsible for digging deep into the data, understanding our users’ behaviours, finding useful signals in the data and proposing solutions to identified problems.
You’ll also work closely with engineers across the company to ensure that we are collecting all the necessary data that we will need for future analyses.
Finally, you will introduce and monitor company-wide KPIs which will measure the performance of financial crime prevention and alert us if something goes off track.
We’re looking for someone who cares deeply about achieving the best outcomes for our users, can communicate their findings clearly and drive actions on top of insights.
You should apply if:
- You’re at your happiest exploring data, making discoveries and understanding their implications
- You delight in automating processes, building datasets and analysing data to support business decisions
- You have a solid grounding in SQL (Python knowledge is a plus)
- You’re adaptable, curious and enjoy learning new technologies and ideas
- What we’re doing sounds exciting, and you can’t wait to explore our data
- Ideally you have previously worked in a financial crime or other related analytical environment - for example in a tech start-up, management consulting or banking.
This role is based at our office in London, where you’ll work alongside financial crime analysts, engineers, designers, banking experts and customer support specialists to build the future of banking.
We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
We offer equity and competitive salaries based on skills and experience.
Our interview process is normally a phone interview with a recruiter, an initial call, a take home task, and 2 hours of onsite interviews. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Questions about this role? Head over to our careers page to read our FAQs (www.monzo.com/careers)