Our mission is to make money work for everyone: to make our customers effortlessly financially savvy with smart features, unexpectedly friendly service, and a relentless focus on what people genuinely want and need.
At Monzo, we move fast, ship things every day, and develop products iteratively. But we are also very serious about the safety of our customers’ money and their trust in us, and we believe this starts with our internal culture. We default to transparency both internally and externally, and we involve our community in everything we do. We prize a diverse team as a strength: everyone is welcome at Monzo and is encouraged to do the best work of their lives.
We're the UK's fastest growing bank and we've just launched in the US. We’re looking for an experienced financial crime (“fincrime”) expert, with plenty of operational knowledge in fraud and financial crime, to help us stay one step ahead as we continue to grow.
We have big ambitions here in the US and the team will grow very quickly, but we’re just getting started and you will be joining at a formative time. As our first US-based Fincrime Program Manager, you will have a strategic role in making Fincrime for Monzo US a success.
You’ll need to be experienced at managing complex projects and investigations, but are also ready to roll your sleeves up and get hands-on with US Fincrime operations. You’ll work with the US Head of Financial Crime to set up our operational procedures, manage relationships with vendors and key partners, and train colleagues on fincrime (among many other things). You will also be the primary point of contact for the frontline in triaging fincrime-related escalations.
While in many ways we’ll be building our US Fincrime program from the ground up, we’ll also have the support of the home team in London, including fincrime analysts, engineers, data scientists and operational specialists. Working as one team helps us to spot, assess and prevent crime more quickly, but it also means spending a lot of time collaborating with folks who are not in the room with you. You should be comfortable building relationships remotely, communicating and collaborating online.
Day to day, you’ll:
- develop, update, iterate on policies and procedures
- set up, monitor, and maintain metrics dashboards related to fincrime
- use data analysis and research to drive decision-making
- be an escalation point for the Customer Operations Fincrime Specialists on US-based fincrime work, including alerts and investigations
- do ad hoc project work like choosing suppliers, analysing data to assess controls, or engaging with other banks
- manage ongoing communication and reporting obligations with our partners, including setting up new processes as needed
- appreciate the differences between US and UK regulation, and be comfortable sharing technology and procedures with the UK where possible
- partner with other Analysts to strategize on building globally scalable solutions, meeting quarterly goals, and optimizing how we work together across the pond
- work with the US Head of Financial Crime to ensure that our US Fincrime controls are appropriate to mitigate risks to the business, well-documented, and ready for regulatory examinations in all relevant jurisdictions
You should apply if:
- you have loads of practical operational experience in fraud and financial crime, and you know trends in the US like the back of your hand
- you love data and have experience using data to support your recommendations
- you’re excited by the prospect of building a new bank
- you care about people and want to make sure that genuine customers get the best experience possible
- you’re a quick learner and thrive when there’s ambiguity
- you have experience dealing with US law enforcement and other financial institutions related to financial crimes cases
- you have loads of experience with operational work and are happy to iterate on procedures so they’re sensible and efficient
It’s a bonus but not required if you have:
- experience in a startup
- experience with Looker and/or SQL
We’re looking for somebody based in the US, but willing to travel to London
You’ll be based in the US office in Los Angeles, working with the team to grow Monzo in the US. You’ll also be part of the Fincrime Team, attend Fincrime meetings and work with Fincrime engineers, analysts and data scientists. Your manager will be the US Head of Financial Crime, and she’ll help you prioritise your first areas of work.
All new joiners spend their first few weeks or so with the Fincrime team in London (flights and accommodation paid for, of course), so we can get to know each other and you can get up to speed on how we work.
We care deeply about inclusive working practices and diverse teams. We’re keen to make sure we’re designing a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from underrepresented demographics.