At Monzo we’re aiming to build the best current account in the world. We are always keen to hear from capable, creative engineers who want to help us accomplish that goal 🚀
Please note: we get lots of successful applications for Backend Engineer in Operations (Customer Experience) so there could be a delay in scheduling interviews from the initial stage right up until the final interviews. If you're invited to interview and you have any immediate time pressures, please let us know, as we'll always do our best to speed things up for you 😊
Our backend engineers have a variety of different backgrounds
We have several non-graduates; only some of us studied Computer Science; one of the team has a degree in Marketing; some of us have worked in huge companies; some have only ever worked in startups; others are former consultants. As long as you enjoy learning new things, we’d love to talk to you.
We encourage an open and transparent working environment
You can get involved in any aspect of the business you are interested in and, following Stripe’s example, all emails in the company are visible in an email archive. We regularly run hackathons in which people build things on our third party API and we contribute to open source software as much as possible. We’ve also made our product roadmap public and give sneak peeks of features in our community forum. Our blog is a good place to learn even more about what we do!
The Operations collective
The Operations collective is responsible for our incredible customer support, and is one of the most interesting problem spaces at Monzo: as we grow, we want to ensure that we’re using technology as effectively as possible whilst still maintaining customer service so good that you want to tell your friends. Our engineers within this area of the business help us to explore these challenges. Central to it all is Monzo Chat – a completely bespoke bit of software we’ve built from the ground up to manage chats in our app - but we’re also doing work with machine learning, and looking at how technology can more broadly support our wonderful support team (we call them COps) in other aspects.
At the moment we’re very interested in finding a specific ‘shape’ of back-end engineer: someone who’s had some experience wearing a ‘tech lead’ hat. You’ll spend around 50% of their time coding, but who will also work to develop other engineers, and work with Product Managers on product decisions, estimates and prioritisation.
Monzo works in project-based sprints in small, interdisciplinary teams
We have around 200 engineers out of roughly 1200 people in total - and we have big ambitions. There are many interesting challenges ahead, and we're happy for people to move between teams or to specialise, whatever you prefer. As a Lead engineer here, you'd be able to work directly with anyone across the company, and we run regular knowledge-sharing sessions so you’ll learn heaps about everything from how banks work to effective communication.
At Monzo you will get to work with a lot of exciting new technology.
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies:
- Go to write our application code (there’s an excellent interactive Go tutorial here)
- Cassandra for most persistent data storage
- Kafka for our asynchronous message queue
- Envoy Proxy for RPC
- Kubernetes and Docker to schedule and run our services (Oliver,our VP of Engineering, gave a great talk at KubeCon on how we use these technologies)
- AWS for most of our infrastructure
- React for our web interfaces
- We also have two physical datacenter sites with actual cables to connect to various third parties
You should apply if:
- the work we’re doing sounds exciting!
- you want to be involved in building a product that powers our award-winning customer service
- you’re keen to learn more about new technologies and the arcane inner workings of the financial industry
- you’re comfortable working in a team that deals with ambiguity
- you’re interested in the product space of working with internal products, building on software that already exists
- you have some team leadership experience
- you have some experience with strongly-typed languages (Go, Java, C, Scala etc.).
- you have some experience working alongside web engineers (ideally where there’s been a framework/library like React or Vue)
- you're strong on systems thinking
- you've successfully built strong bonds with Product Managers before
We can help you relocate to London, we can sponsor visas, and we're open to distributed working (as long as you can spend around 20% of your time in London and are based in the countries where we have payroll).
We have payroll set up in five countries: the UK, Ireland, France, Poland and Spain. Right now, we can only hire people who work from those countries and we’ll keep this list updated as we expand and are able to hire from more places 🌎
We offer competitive salaries based on skills and experience, which could be anywhere between £60,000 - £100,000 per year.
We care deeply about inclusive working practices and diverse teams. If you’d prefer to work part-time or as a job-share, we’ll try our best to make this happen. Just let us know in your application so we can plan for it.
Our interview process is normally a phone interview, a coding task, a call to discuss it, and 2-3 hours of onsite interviews. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions. We might design a system together on a whiteboard, the same way we often work together, but we won’t make you write code on one.
Questions about this role? Head over to our careers page to read our FAQs (www.monzo.com/careers)