Internally known as Squad Captain Manager. We’re looking for an experienced senior customer support manager to be an empathetic leader for our Squad Captains and Customer Operations (COps) team. This is our first office outside of the UK, and you’ll be vital in ensuring we’re able to serve our two million customers.
About Monzo 🚀
At Monzo, we’re building a new kind of bank. One that lives in your smartphone and helps you take control of your money. We are always here to help as every customer gets access to 24/7 customer support through our app.
Our mission is to make money work for everyone, and while having a great app is part of that, we pride ourselves on providing world-class support. By solving customers’ problems, treating them fairly and being totally transparent, we believe we can make banking better.
Since we started, we’ve been busy building the best current account in the world and now have over 100,000 new customers signing up with Monzo every month. We need an experienced customer service manager to help us grow our first US office!
Customer Operations at Monzo 👫
The Customer Operations Team is at the heart of Monzo. Every person in this team cares about our customers’ problems and is empowered to solve them quickly and with minimal fuss. We work in small squads of 8-10 people, which are split between communication channels and time periods. Squads specialise in responding via in-app chat, over the phone or via social media.
As Squad Captain Manager, you’ll provide support and leadership 🎓
Each Squad Captain supports and coordinates the work of their team members. You’ll directly manage a number of Squad Captains so they can meet their personal and professional development goals. You’ll organise people around you and take quick action when you see a problem coming - whether it’s not enough people covering the right types of queries, a training need, or something going wrong. You’ll listen to your people, guide them through hard times and celebrate their successes. You’ll have responsibility for some disciplinary and grievance matters and work closely with your colleagues in the UK to make sure that we apply these policies fairly across all areas of COps.
Communication between offices is a key challenge 🌎
You’ll work closely with other Squad Captain Managers and senior stakeholders within COps to share ideas and support each other. You’ll make sure communication between the London and Cardiff offices is seamless, gathering feedback and sharing the same consistent message with all team members.
Each day you’ll be:
- Instilling a strong customer-centric culture and keeping everyone focussed on what really matters: helping our customers with their personal financial lives
- Helping Squad Captains outperform in their roles by: having regular 1:1s with Squad Captains; giving and receiving feedback about people, process and procedures; coaching, mentoring, and developing high performing squads and captains
- Running Squad Captain group sessions, e.g. knowledge sharing
- Supporting the interviewing and hiring of new Squad Captains/COps
- Helping us become an exceptional place to work for the ambitious, highly motivated COps that we hire
- Working closely with other Squad Captain Managers and senior stakeholders within COps to share ideas and support each other
- Helping make sure communication between the Las Vegas, London and Cardiff offices is seamless, gathering feedback and sharing the same consistent message with all team members.
You should apply if:
- You have significant senior management experience, ideally in a customer-centric role
- You’ve led successful teams to achieve their goals and have an empathetic leadership style
- You’re as comfortable working 1:1 as communicating with large groups
- You empower your people to find solutions themselves
- You can motivate teams working on ongoing operational work
- You are very hands-on and solve problems when you spot them
- What we are doing at Monzo excites you!
We offer some amazing benefits!
These include, but aren’t limited to:
- 32 days paid vacation per year
- Healthcare - 100% contribution to medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous parental leave policy
- Work from home (when you need to)
- Catered lunches twice a week
- Personal learning budget for books, training courses and conferences to help you learn and grow
- Team-building, socials and other fun get-togethers
You’ll spend your first months helping our customers
To be an effective Squad Captain Manager you’ll need to know the ins and outs of the Customer Service job. You’ll have frontline COps training in your first few months and then transition into the Squad Captain Manager role.
Your answers to the application questions below are really important to us, so please take your time on these. Once you've submitted your application, we'll review along with your CV.
If successful, you’ll have a short phone interview, followed by a practical written exercise and a couple of on-site interviews at our office in Las Vegas
The salary for this role is approx. $60,000+ and it is available on a full-time basis.