Location: Los Angeles
Monzo is a bank that lives on your phone. Our mission is to make money work for everyone: to make our customers effortlessly financially savvy with smart features, unexpectedly friendly service, and a relentless focus on what people genuinely want and need. Our net promoter score of +80 is more than 2x that of other banks, and we are the fastest-growing bank in the UK.
Monzo better resembles a fast-paced tech startup than a traditional bank – we move fast, ship things every day, and develop products iteratively. But we are also very serious about the safety of our customers’ money and their trust in us, and we believe this starts with our internal culture. We default to transparency both internally and externally, and we involve our community in everything we do. We prize a diverse team as a strength: everyone is welcome at Monzo and is encouraged to do the best work of their lives.
We’re planning to launch in the US in the next few months, and we’re looking for exceptional web/full-stack engineers to join us. We have big ambitions in the US and the team will grow very quickly, but we’re just getting started and you will be joining at a formative time. As one of our first engineering hires in the US you will have a rare and exciting opportunity to shape a product that will change the face of US banking.
At Monzo you'll get to work with a lot of exciting new technology
Our Web Engineers focus on the front-end of applications, working with Back-end Engineers to build out experiences. You'll likely be working with our monzo.com website, blog, and campaigns, as well as with internal tools (our amazing customer support is all done with a web-based platform we've built from the ground up).
As one of the first Web Engineers in this new part of the business you'll have the opportunity to take on plenty of responsibility, help to make decisions, whilst also working with our Web Platform team and wider Monzo web community to ensure quality and consistency of standards and processes. Because our US team is brand new you should be comfortable and excited by the fact that there'll be a lot of ambiguity, change, and working fast!
You should apply if...
- the work we’re doing sounds exciting!
- you love building products in cross disciplinary teams using an iterative approach, driven by customer feedback and data insight.
- you deeply care about providing a great user experience to our users, and understand the impact that technology can have on this.
- you've experience building applications for multiple devices, and are familiar with concepts such as progressive enhancement.
- you've interacted with APIs, written end-to-end testing and consider performance, accessibility and security when building web applications.
- you understand the importance of prioritisation in your work to ensure a good balance between development velocity and code quality.
- you’re comfortable working with ambiguity every day, being the first Web Engineer in a team, and are able to take the lead on technical and strategic decision-making.
- you're a keen learner and love sharing your knowledge with others.
- you're open to picking up new technologies – for example many of our UK-based Web Engineers also work with Go when needed.
Please apply only if you have permission to work in the United States. You'll also be required to travel to the UK for training and on-boarding.