Location: Los Angeles
Monzo is a bank that lives on your phone. Our mission is to make money work for everyone: to make our customers effortlessly financially savvy with smart features, unexpectedly friendly service, and a relentless focus on what people genuinely want and need. Our net promoter score of +80 is more than 2x that of other banks, and we are the fastest-growing bank in the UK.
Monzo better resembles a fast-paced tech startup than a traditional bank – we move fast, ship things every day, and develop products iteratively. But we are also very serious about the safety of our customers’ money and their trust in us, and we believe this starts with our internal culture. We default to transparency both internally and externally, and we involve our community in everything we do. We prize a diverse team as a strength: everyone is welcome at Monzo and is encouraged to do the best work of their lives.
We have just launched in the US, and we’re looking for exceptional Backend Engineers to join us. We have big ambitions in the US and the team will grow very quickly, but we’re just getting started and you will be joining at a formative time. As one of our first engineering hires in the US you will have a rare and exciting opportunity to shape a product that will change the face of US banking.
At Monzo you'll get to work with a lot of exciting new technology.
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies:
- Go to write our application code (there’s an excellent interactive Go tutorial here)
- Cassandra for most persistent data storage
- Kafka for our asynchronous message queue
- Envoy Proxy for RPC
- Kubernetes and Docker to schedule and run our services (Oliver, our VP Architecture, gave a great talk at KubeCon on how we use these technologies)
- AWS for most of our infrastructure
- React for internal web dashboards
- We also have two physical datacenter sites with actual cables to connect to various third parties
You should apply if:
- the work we’re doing sounds exciting!
- you want to be involved in building a product that millions of people will use every day
- you’ve worked in a tech startup before and thrive in an highly ambitious and ambiguous environment
- you’re interested in distributed systems and writing resilient software
- you have some experience with strongly-typed languages (Go, Java, C, Scala etc.)
- you're interested in the inner workings of US payments systems OR solving customer problems and needs through building the backend of customer-facing features
Please only apply if you have permission to work in the United States. You will also be required to travel to the UK for training and on-boarding.