At Monzo, our mission is to make money work for everyone: to make our customers effortlessly financially savvy with smart features, unexpectedly friendly service, and a relentless focus on what people genuinely want and need from a bank. Our net promoter score is more than 2x that of other banks, and we are the fastest-growing bank in the UK. Monzo better resembles a fast-paced tech startup than a traditional bank – we move fast, ship new things every day, and develop products iteratively. But we are also very serious about the safety of our customers’ money and their trust in us, and we believe this starts with our internal culture. We default to transparency both internally and externally, and we involve our community in everything we do. We prize a diverse team as a strength: everyone is welcome at Monzo and we're working hard to empower them to do the best work of their lives.
At Monzo the effective application of technology is a significant competitive advantage. We strongly believe in autonomous multi-disciplinary teams, organising smart people from different backgrounds around problems and empowering our business areas with technical capabilities to achieve outcomes for our customers that others can't.
The Lending Team works on making borrowing money simple, fair and transparent. They've already shipped and scaled overdrafts to hundreds of thousands of Monzo customers and they've made it easy to take out a loan without the unfair fees or confusing pricing that you find elsewhere. They work on everything from the way borrowing works in the app, right down to how they move and account for money that our customers borrow. One of the most interesting problems they face is deciding how much to lend and to whom. The team believes that they can make access to credit fairer and more transparent.
Over the next 12 months you'll:
- Manage a group of Engineering Managers and Technical Leads. You'll provide them with world-class management support and supercharge their personal development.
- Be accountable for the technical strategy for Lending. You'll work on this with the Staff/Principal engineers and Technical Leads in your team and from other areas of the business.
- Create high-performing teams. You'll be responsible for building effective teams that can deliver consistently. You'll help them balance a high-impact ship-and-iterate approach whilst ensuring our systems are robust, reliable and compliant.
- Be accountable for the technical governance for Lending. You'll work closely with our Risk and Compliance teams to appropriately assess and triage risks and manage audits from start to finish.
- Partner with other senior leaders. You'll work with directors, VPs and executives from other disciplines to ensure we're achieving our goals in Lending and as a company.
- Contribute to the Engineering Management discipline. You'll help us level up our ability to nurture, develop and scale a high-performing engineering org by leading projects across hiring and onboarding, progression and promotion, reward and recognition, knowledge management and learning and development.
You should apply if:
- You're excited by what Monzo is doing!
- You have experience leading engineering organisations of 30+ people.
- You have experience working directly with and supporting C-level executives.
- You have a track record of supporting and developing people - both managers and senior individual contributors (e.g. staff, principal engineers, architects).
- You're great at building strong, effective relationships with people from different disciplines.
- You lead through influence and build autonomous organisations that repeatedly deliver results.
- You have a track record of attracting, hiring and retaining top engineering talent.
Nice to have:
- You have experience working on lending/credit products and/or in a highly regulated environment like banking.
- You have experience with data modelling, data science or credit decisioning.
- You have experience at a high-growth tech-driven company going from hundreds to thousands of people.
- You have successfully lead high-performing multi-disciplinary teams.
- 45-60 minute hangout call
- 3 hour face to face interview
- 1 hour face to face interview
The face to face interview take place at our office in Moorgate, London.