At Monzo, our mission is to make money work for everyone: to make our customers effortlessly financially savvy with smart features, unexpectedly friendly service, and a relentless focus on what people genuinely want and need from a bank. Our net promoter score is more than 2x that of other banks, and we are the fastest-growing bank in the UK. Monzo better resembles a fast-paced tech startup than a traditional bank – we move fast, ship new things every day, and develop products iteratively. But we are also very serious about the safety of our customers’ money and their trust in us, and we believe this starts with our internal culture. We default to transparency both internally and externally, and we involve our community in everything we do. We prize a diverse team as a strength: everyone is welcome at Monzo and is encouraged to do the best work of their lives.
We are scaling our lending and we’re looking for a Director of Operations to lead our strategy and develop a world-class team across Collections, Recoveries and all other Lending Operations.
We want to change the way that banks do collections and recoveries and you should apply if you want to do that, too. We are doing things in a way where the interests of Monzo and the customer are aligned. So, while commercial performance is of course important, we want to give customers the tools and options they need to get back in control of their finances. Using technology will enable us to provide unprecedented levels of support, at a low cost and at scale.
You will be working in an ever changing environment where we are constantly iterating on the tools we have to help customers in financial difficulties. Whether it’s building the functionality for customers to set up and change repayment plans in-app, or bringing all our other budgeting tools into the collections journey, you will need to ensure that we are operationally ready for all the changes we are making.
The key focus of this role will be:
- Owning the processes, performance and customer interactions to ensure we deliver our lending operations flawlessly. This includes collections and recoveries across all our lending features and all the operational work around lending, including credit file disputes and eligibility queries.
- Being senior decision maker and ability to take teams proposals and help guide and make the tough calls.
- Building and using data to ensure that lending operations continues to run with the right control and oversight.
- Working closely within the wider lending team to ensure we understand likely changes coming down the line and that we are able to implement these into our processes, without slowing down the scaling of our lending products and features.
- Managing our Head of Financial Difficulties to make sure that we are plugging in an unprecedented level of support for people in financial difficulties, and setting the bar for what lenders are expected to do to help.
- Ensuring our oversight extends into good risk management, that our risks are well understood and captured, and that controls are robust and fit for purpose.
- Managing our response to incidents and triaging the incident process.
- Working with the team to set our quarterly Lending Operations Goals and taking responsibility for the delivery of the strategy.
- Bringing your knowledge and experience to coach and up-skill the team around you.
- Continuously improving processes, procedures and knowledge management. This is paramount to success in this role.
- Being an influencer of industry, understanding and influencing trade bodies and seeing changes coming down the line.
You should apply if you:
- Want to change the way that banks do collections and recoveries.
- Are disciplined, detail oriented and obsessed with understanding every piece of a process.
- Have experience of leading an in-house lending operations or collections function in an FCA-regulated firm.
- Have an excellent understanding of UK Credit regulation (CCA 1974, CONC).
- Are people focused:
- Accessible to the team and there to support them, while supporting our culture of autonomous teams and empowerment.
- A strong leader and influencer of people, who understands the importance of listening to others.
- Are a fast decision maker, can prioritise well and know when to say ‘no’.
- Are a collaborative, strategic problem solver who loves working hard towards a deadline.
- Are confident at influencing and engaging across the team and at EXCO/ board level.
- Have experience working cross-functionally with legal, engineering, marketing, operations and finance teams.
- Are familiar with how technical systems work, and have an ability to frame messages appropriately to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Are highly self-motivated, able to work and lead with significant autonomy.
- Are comfortable working in a fast-moving, ambiguous and changing company.
- Are great when incidents occur, getting stuck in, leading when needed, empowering when not, but able to make decisions quickly
The application process consists of a short phone interview, and a couple of on-site interviews at our office in London, where this role is based.
We offer a competitive salary plus stock options and other benefits.