We’re looking for a legal counsel to be a business partner to all our business teams dealing with our people and customers (the People Collective and Customer Operations Collective).
We’re the UK’s fastest-growing bank
In the UK we’re an established brand with over 2 million customers and over 1,000 staff. More than 40,000 people open an account each week, making us the fastest-growing bank in the UK. We are backed by some of the world’s top VCs. Our bank account is a fully-featured mobile checking account. We’ve won awards for our customer service and product offerings, and our customers rate us highly with a Net Promoter Score of ~80. We’re now expanding our offering of products to customers in the UK.
- Day-to-day you will business partner with our People Collective and Customer Operations Collective. You will take the lead and advise on a wide range of legal issues that arise from working for a business with over 2 million customers and over 1,000 staff.
- You will also work with the wider Legal team to ensure we optimise our legal operational processes to ensure we can deliver efficiency and move quickly safely as the business scales.
- This role will report to the Legal Director, Commercial Contracts in the UK. You will actively support the Legal Director, Commercial Contracts in building a world-class and scalable, high performing Legal team that is capable of facing a range of legal issues at all levels.
- This role will be Level 3 on our Framework. This role can be based in London or Cardiff (London preferred).
You should apply if:
- You are a UK qualified (or equivalent) solicitor with at least 2 years PQE having practiced in employment law. Ideally you will also have good data privacy knowledge and some contentious experience (e.g. a seat in litigation, employment disputes etc.).
- You will be comfortable working directly with and alongside business teams, in a business partnering environment. You can act autonomously and triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients and delivering results efficiently. You will be happy in designing and delivering training directly to business teams.
- You have first-class drafting, negotiation and communication skills, combined with strong analytical skills, good business and commercial judgement, and an ability to sensibly assess risk.
- Ideally you will have worked in-house or on secondment previously, but we will accept applications from private practice lawyers coming out of an employment law team.
- You are happy handling the widest range of legal issues that come up in a start-up environment, even if outside your core areas of expertise, and can sensibly assess when best to engage external counsel in a cost-effective way. You feel happy working independently and as a team.
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced business and with ambiguity, effortlessly handling volume, detail and complexity, but working and communicating with simplicity.
- You’re passionate about technology and in particular financial technology, and what we are doing here at Monzo excites you! You think that banking in the UK needs to fundamentally change and you want to be at the forefront of that revolution. You are excited about the prospect of helping build Monzo in the UK and are happy to contribute to the growth of the wider business.