We’re looking for a legal counsel to work on a range of contractual, technology and IP issues.
We’re the UK’s fastest-growing bank
In the UK we’re an established brand with over 2 million customers and over 1,000 staff. More than 40,000 people open an account each week, making us the fastest-growing bank in the UK. We are backed by some of the world’s top VCs. Our bank account is a fully-featured mobile checking account. We’ve won awards for our customer service and product offerings, and our customers rate us highly with a Net Promoter Score of ~80. We’re now expanding our offering of products to customers in the UK.
- Day-to-day you will be handling a wide range of contracts. You will create and improve contracts and our contracts processes to enable us to scale effectively and help build a best-in-class expertise on contract building for the whole Legal team. You will develop standard forms and checklists and educate the business on relevant developments, deliver expert advice on contractual matters, develop policy on contractual provisions (e.g. liability, contracting under different jurisdictional laws) so the business acts consistently and in line with our risk appetite, develop contracts know-how and Monzo clauses on a range of issues affecting our business.
- A key strategic part of this role will be helping define, improve upon and implement our global IP strategy. This will cover hard and soft IP assets and defining our approach to open source software. This will include ensuring we have in place required protection for our brand in the US and helping ensure our IP strategy is aligned to our international business strategy so we are prepared for international expansion. You will be responsible for ensuring we continue to protect any new intellectual property assets as they are designed and created. You will be expected to ensure continuous improvement of how we handle IP infringements and phishing issues and define a strategic approach for handling these in an efficient way that maximises automation.
- You will also collaborate with product and commercial and legal/regulatory advisory teams to deliver on new product development and work with the wider Legal team to ensure we optimise our legal operational processes to ensure we can deliver efficiency and move quickly safely as the business scales.
- This role will report to the Legal Director, Commercial Contracts in the UK. You will actively support them in building a world-class and scalable, high performing Legal team that is capable of facing a range of legal issues at all levels.
- This role will be Level 3 on our Framework. This role can be based in London or Cardiff (London preferred).
You should apply if:
- You are a UK qualified (or equivalent) solicitor with at least 2 years PQE having practiced in commercial, technology and IP law. Ideally you will also have good data privacy knowledge with exposure to working on cross-border issues.
- You will be comfortable working directly with and alongside business teams, in a business partnering environment. You can act autonomously and triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients and delivering results efficiently. You will be happy in designing and delivering training directly to business teams.
- You have first-class drafting, negotiation and communication skills, combined with strong analytical skills, good business and commercial judgement, and an ability to sensibly assess risk. You will have the ability to structure, draft and negotiate a high volume and broad range of contracts and had significant experience handling a wide range of commercial contracts, particularly outsourcing (to financial services firms), technology services & licensing. You will be adept at drafting and negotiating IP indemnity provisions
- You will have good knowledge of soft IP (copyright and trademark and brand issues), as well as exposure to hard IP (patents). You will be able to develop and execute an IP strategy
- Ideally you will have worked in-house or on secondment previously, but we will accept applications from private practice lawyers coming out of an IPT team.
- You are happy handling the widest range of legal issues that come up in a start-up environment, even if outside your core areas of expertise, and can sensibly assess when best to engage external counsel in a cost-effective way. You feel happy working independently and as a tea
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced business and with ambiguity, effortlessly handling volume, detail and complexity, but working and communicating with simplicity.
- You’re passionate about technology and in particular financial technology, and what we are doing here at Monzo excites you! You think that banking in the UK needs to fundamentally change and you want to be at the forefront of that revolution. You are excited about the prospect of helping build Monzo in the UK and are happy to contribute to the growth of the wider business.