Monzo is a bank that lives on your phone. Our mission is to make money work for everyone: to make our customers effortlessly financially savvy with smart features, unexpectedly friendly service, and a relentless focus on what people genuinely want and need. Our net promoter score of +80 is more than 2x that of other banks, and we are the fastest-growing bank in the UK.
In some ways Monzo better resembles a fast-paced tech startup than a traditional bank – we move fast, ship things every day, and develop products iteratively. But we are also very serious about the safety of our customers’ money and their trust in us, and we believe this starts with our culture. We default to transparency both internally and externally, and we involve our community in everything we do. We prize a diverse team as a strength: everyone is welcome at Monzo and is encouraged to do the best work of their lives.
We’re planning to launch in the US in the next few months, and we’re looking for a business-savvy, collaborative and experienced Finance lead to help us build a product to revolutionize banking for millions of Americans, and to be one of the first members of Monzo’s team based in the US.
We have ambitions to revolutionize banking in the US, but to do so we need to ensure we have designed robust finance processes in place to pay our suppliers, can track, report and manage our spend, and ensure we’re compliant with local tax and accounting rules.
You will be responsible for working with our Finance team in the UK to build the team, systems and processes to effectively manage the finances of the new US business.
- Start the finance team for the US business
Lead the development of the Finance function in the US market and act as point person to the US team for all finance related matters. Initially, you’ll need to manage Accounts Payable and cash management in the US, with the backing of the Global Finance team.
- Ensure the US business follows relevant rules and standards, and meets its reporting obligations
Work with our central accounting, reporting and tax functions, and our third party accounting providers, to ensure that the business meets US accounting (GAAP) standards, follows tax rules, and reports its financials correctly to the relevant US federal and state bodies (as well as ensuring that reporting up to the UK is accurate).
- Help launch Monzo’s product in the US
You will be responsible for the Finance workstreams and deliverables within the project to launch in the US market
- Track and monitor the US business
Use live dashboards and KPI reports to keep the leadership team updated on performance in real time.
- Manage US financial planning
Align closely with central FP&A to design, maintain and evolve key financial models for the US business, including leading the financial planning and forecasting cycles and setting KPI targets.
- Ensure robust commercial analysis across the US business
Support the US business to manage its resources efficiently through assisting with commercial processes, carrying out ad-hoc analyses (e.g. customer modelling, cost optimization) and driving revenue opportunities
- Act as part of the global Finance team in the US
Work with our global Finance team to ensure you have a rounded understanding of the financial impacts the US activities may have and understand their contribution to Monzo’s business overall
You should apply if:
- Have a strong foundation in finance: forecasting, P&L management, accounting and accounts payable, cash management, and strategic decision making.
- You have broad finance skills and experience, with enough generalist knowledge to know how to tackle most problems, while being aware of where your weaker areas are. Regardless of which specific areas of expertise you have worked in you should be comfortable working in unfamiliar fields and learning new things quickly.
- You’re business-savvy, a strategic thinker, and a keen problem solver. You enjoy building and scaling new processes and are not afraid to roll up your sleeves to get things done.
- Ideally you have experience of working in regulated financial services or FinTech / payments companies in the US, and can demonstrate in your application how your experience has prepared you for working at a fast-paced technology business. Applicants with a range of experiences, and not just traditional banking roles, are strongly encouraged to apply.
- You’re passionate about technology and in particular financial technology, and what we are doing here at Monzo excites you. You think that banking in the US needs to fundamentally change and you want to be at the forefront of that revolution. You are excited about the prospect of helping build Monzo in the US and are happy to contribute to the growth of the wider business.