At Monzo we’re aiming to build the best current account in the world. We are always keen to hear from capable, creative engineers who want to help us accomplish that goal. As we build and scale our platform we would like to hear from people who have experience and a passion for these types of challenges!
Engineers at Monzo have a variety of different backgrounds
We have several non-graduates; only some of us studied Computer Science; one of the team has a degree in Marketing; some of us have worked in huge companies; some have only ever worked in startups; others are former consultants. As long as you enjoy learning new things, we’d love to talk to you.
We encourage an open and transparent working environment
You can get involved in any aspect of the business you are interested in and, following Stripe’s example, all emails in the company are visible in an email archive. We regularly run hackathons in which people build things on our third party API and we contribute to open source software as much as possible. We’ve also made our product roadmap public and give sneak peeks of features in our community forum. Our blog is a good place to learn even more about what we do!
Monzo works in project-based sprints in small, interdisciplinary teams
We have around 130 engineers (around 15 web-focused) out of over 800 people in total - and we have big ambitions. There are many interesting challenges ahead, and we're happy for people to move between teams or to specialise, whatever you prefer. As an engineer here you'd be able to work directly with anyone across the company, and we run regular knowledge-sharing sessions so you’ll learn heaps about everything from how banks work to effective communication
What you'll be doing:
This role is focused on leading the web engineering initiatives within an exciting new customer-centric product team. We've just announced that we're bringing Monzo to the US, so we're looking for an experienced web engineer to work within our International team.
You'll be working as part of a cross disciplinary group of Monzonauts to clearly understand user needs, challenging assumptions, iterating quickly to learn fast, using data and running experiments to evaluate solutions, and applying our engineering principles to develop secure, robust, and maintainable solutions at pace.
As the first Web Engineer in this new part of the business you'll have the opportunity to take on plenty of responsibility, help to make decisions, whilst also working with the Web Platform team and wider Monzo web community to ensure quality and consistency of standards and processes. Because our US product is brand new you should be comfortable and excited by the fact that there'll be a lot of ambiguity, change, and working fast!
You should apply if:
- the work we’re doing sounds exciting!
- you love building products in cross disciplinary teams using an iterative approach, driven by customer feedback and data insight.
- you deeply care about providing a great user experience to our users, and understand the impact that technology can have on this.
- you have experience building applications for multiple devices, and are familiar with concepts such as progressive enhancement.
- you have interacted with APIs, written end-to-end testing and consider performance, accessibility and security when building web applications.
- you understand the importance of prioritisation in your work to ensure a good balance between development velocity and code quality.
- you’re comfortable working with ambiguity every day, being the first Web Engineer in a team, and are able to take the lead on technical and strategic decision-making.
- you are a keen learner and love sharing your knowledge with others.
Our main office is near Moorgate in London, though you have the opportunity to work remotely as long as you can spend around 20% of your time in London. We can help you relocate to London and we can sponsor visas!
There may be the opportunity for travel as part of this role.
We offer competitive salaries based on your level on our engineering progression framework, which for this position could be anywhere between £60,000 - £100,000 per year, plus stock options.
We care deeply about inclusive working practices and diverse teams. If you’d prefer to work part-time or as a job-share, we’ll facilitate this wherever we can - whether to help you meet other commitments or to help you strike a great work-life balance.
Our interview process typically consists of:
- an initial phone screen
- a take-home code test (other options are available if this doesn't work for you for whatever reason) with a call to review your solution
- an on-site interview (varies by role and seniority, but we may invite you to a technical interview, product/design-centric session, and possibly an engineering leadership interview)
We understand that everyone's situation is different, that you may be able to dedicate more or less time to this process, or have other restrictions. If any of our process is challenging for you and you'd like us to offer an alternative please let us know. We're committed to finding the right people, and don't want anyone to be excluded because of circumstances.
Questions about this role? Head over to our careers page to read our FAQs (www.monzo.com/careers).