At Monzo we’re aiming to build the best current account in the world. We are always keen to hear from capable, creative engineers who want to help us accomplish that goal. As we build and scale our platform we would like to hear from people who have experience and a passion for these types of challenges!
Engineers at Monzo have a variety of different backgrounds
We have several non-graduates; only some of us studied Computer Science; one of the team has a degree in Marketing; some of us have worked in huge companies; some have only ever worked in startups; others are former consultants. As long as you enjoy learning new things, we’d love to talk to you.
We encourage an open and transparent working environment
You can get involved in any aspect of the business you are interested in and, following Stripe’s example, all emails in the company are visible in an email archive. We regularly run hackathons in which people build things on our third party API and we contribute to open source software as much as possible. We’ve also made our product roadmap public and give sneak peeks of features in our community forum. Our blog is a good place to learn even more about what we do!
Monzo works in project-based sprints in small, interdisciplinary teams
We have around 130 engineers (around 15 web-focused) out of over 800 people in total - and we have big ambitions. There are many interesting challenges ahead, and we're happy for people to move between teams or to specialise, whatever you prefer. As an engineer here you'd be able to work directly with anyone across the company, and we run regular knowledge-sharing sessions so you’ll learn heaps about everything from how banks work to effective communication
What you'll be doing:
The Web Platform team is shaping the way we approach web development at scale and develops tooling that enables autonomous, user-centric product teams to move fast. We work closely with people who work on the Monzo platform and engineering effectiveness, and target technical and non-technical challenges that block productivity as we grow.
Examples of team goals:
- Develop a clear set of standards, guidelines and other documentation that helps us align our web engineering efforts across all product teams and support quick on-boarding and organisational flexibility.
- Ensure that all web applications comply with our mandatory standards, especially around core qualities such as accessibility, security and stability.
- Develop an overview of all web projects at Monzo and insight into their core qualities (accessibility, performance, availability, etc.), and identify issues before they get serious.
- Enable engineers to focus on their product domain and to deliver value to their end-user without being unnecessarily distracted by technical problems.
- Provide product engineers with the tools to build products following a user-focused, highly iterative, and data- and experiment-driven approach that optimises for learning and shipping.
As a member of the Web Platform team you'll address these challenges by clearly understanding developer needs, facilitating the development of shared practices, building developer tooling and tracking their impact, monitoring the quality of our web tools, and providing feedback to product teams.
You should apply if:
- the work we’re doing sounds exciting!
- you are deeply passionate about developer experience and constantly looking for opportunities to help other engineers ship great products in a customer-centric and fast-paced environment
- you know how to identify bottlenecks for iteration and barriers for success across team boundaries
- you have several years of experience working in a web platform or similar team, and are used to defining technical directions and driving initiatives across large fast moving organisation with multiple product teams.
- you have substantial experience using modern technologies to solve complex product infrastructure problems. Some of the technologies we use are React, Flow, Apollo, Cloudflare, Cypress, Go, and Kubernetes. Significant experience in a few relevant fields such as browser networking, web security, edge computing, system programming, etc. would be a plus.
- you have experience building systems that help product teams to deliver on non-functional requirements such as accessibility and security at scale
- you understand the importance of prioritisation in your work to ensure a good balance between development velocity and code quality
- you’re a skilled communicator and know how to work with independent teams
- you’re comfortable working in a team that deals with ambiguity every day
Our main office is near Moorgate in London, though you have the opportunity to work remotely as long as you can spend around 20% of your time in London. We can help you relocate to London and we can sponsor visas!
We offer competitive salaries based on your level on our engineering progression framework, which for this role could be anywhere between £70,000 - £100,000 per year, plus stock options.
We care deeply about inclusive working practices and diverse teams. If you’d prefer to work part-time or as a job-share, we’ll facilitate this wherever we can - whether to help you meet other commitments or to help you strike a great work-life balance.
Our interview process typically consists of:
- an initial phone screen
- a take-home code test (other options are available if this doesn't work for you for whatever reason) with a call to review your solution
- an on-site interview (varies by role and seniority, but we may invite you to a technical interview, product/design-centric session, and possibly an engineering leadership interview)
We understand that everyone's situation is different, that you may be able to dedicate more or less time to this process, or have other restrictions. If any of our process is challenging for you and you'd like us to offer an alternative please let us know. We're committed to finding the right people, and don't want anyone to be excluded because of circumstances.
Questions about this role? Head over to our careers page to read our FAQs (www.monzo.com/careers).